BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Can someone please help me understand this macro step by step? I'm very new to sas so i'm having a hard time understanding macros.

This is the macro:

%macro handimp;

%let var1 = Intake;
%let var2 = Discharge;

%do k=1 %to 2;

proc import out= hand_&&var&k.._paper datafile= "&fpath\Hand_Wrist.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx replace;
getnames=yes;
sheet = "&&var&k";
run;

proc sort data = hand_&&var&k.._paper;
by client_id;
run;
%end;
%mend;

%handimp;

Questions

1. Why is this macro creating two macro variables called var1 and var2? Is this necessary? Is this meant to highlight the two sheets in my excel that I want to import? 

2. What does the following line mean exactly:

%do k=1 %to 2;

thank you! If you answer can you please answer simply as I don't always understand all the terminilogy just yet!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

It's a do loop...the start from - up to - end value. 

Loop from 1 to 2 in this case. 

It could easily be 1 to 20 if you wanted 20 loops.

And no, not observation are not being looped. This loops the entire procedure or portion of text. 

Write the out the entire piece of code and replace each instance of k with a 1. 

Then write out entire piece of code and replace each instance of k with a 2. 

That will show you what the code is doing. 

If running the code you can use the following to have the log display the details from each iteration. 

Option MPRINT SYMBOLGEN;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star

There's too much to explain.  You will need to study SAS language first, then macro language, to come up to speed on these questions.

This might help.  First, appreciate that there is an earlier piece missing here.  Somehow &FPATH got defined and assigned a value.  Whatever its value is, the value gets substituted into the program where &FPATH appears.  When this macro runs, it generates the following SAS code (again, with &FPATH replaced):

proc import out= hand_Intake_paper datafile= "&fpath\Hand_Wrist.xlsx"

dbms=xlsx replace;
getnames=yes;
sheet = "Intake";
run;

proc sort data = hand_Intake_paper;
by client_id;
run;

proc import out= hand_Discharge_paper datafile= "&fpath\Hand_Wrist.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx replace;
getnames=yes;
sheet = "Discharge";
run;

proc sort data = hand_Discharge_paper;
by client_id;
run;

So &var1 and &var2 are being used ... think of them as replacing &&var&k when the macro runs.

Reeza
Super User

What are you trying to use this macro for? Is it something in code your working with or code your trying to adapt to something else?

christinagting0
Quartz | Level 8

I'm actually working with someone else's sas code and need to double check things for them. But also I'm just trying to learn it.

for right now I think I just need someone to explain what the bolded part in the code means. I've googled it but it doens't make a lot of sense to me in plain english.

Can someone explain that bolded section for me in general terms? Just so I have a high level understanding of what it is actually doing.

Reeza
Super User

It's a do loop start. 

It will loop from start of do loop to the %end statement each time incrementing the value of k. 

christinagting0
Quartz | Level 8

s does the do loop say start at k, and k being observation 1...what does the 2 mean? Does that just mean it's going to the next observation? so 1, 2, 3 etc?

Reeza
Super User

It's a do loop...the start from - up to - end value. 

Loop from 1 to 2 in this case. 

It could easily be 1 to 20 if you wanted 20 loops.

And no, not observation are not being looped. This loops the entire procedure or portion of text. 

Write the out the entire piece of code and replace each instance of k with a 1. 

Then write out entire piece of code and replace each instance of k with a 2. 

That will show you what the code is doing. 

If running the code you can use the following to have the log display the details from each iteration. 

Option MPRINT SYMBOLGEN;

gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
%macro handimp; /* Declares a macro function named handimp */

%let var1 = Intake;     /* declares a macrovariable var1 that takes the value "Intake" (wo quotes) */
    %let var2 = Discharge;  /* declares a macrovariable var2 that takes the value "Discharge" (wo quotes) */

%do k=1 %to 2; /* Loops on k from 1 to 2 */

/* Imports data from an excel file, the name of which depends on k */
        proc import out= hand_&&var&k.._paper  /* &&var&k. first, Intake then Discharge */
                                               /* var&k => var1 or var2 | &&var&k => &var1 or &var2 */
            datafile= "&fpath\Hand_Wrist.xlsx" /* macrovariable fpath should be initialized somewhere else */
            dbms=xlsx replace;
            getnames=yes;
            sheet = "&&var&k";
        run;

/* Sorts the newly created SAS dataset by client_id */
        proc sort data = hand_&&var&k.._paper;
            by client_id;
        run;
    %end; /* End of loop */

%mend; /* End of macro definition */

%handimp; /* Calls the macro handimp */

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation