BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
leisas
Calcite | Level 5

Basically, I need to get a quarter of the year, for instance, the third quarter (number 3) of this year.

If I use data step, it works fine

data quatr;

x=%sysfunc(putn("&sysdate9"d,5.));

q=qtr(x)-1;

RUN;

result q is 3

What I really need is a macro of quarter so I can innovate in my program. I coded as

%LET QT=QTR(%sysfunc(putn("&sysdate9"d,5.)))-1;
%put qt=&qt;

result in log

qt=QTR(19289)-1

My question is if data step is the only way to use QTR function, how to create macro of qtr? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

%LET QT=%eval(%sysfunc(QTR(%sysfunc(putn("&sysdate9"d,5.))))-1);

%put qt=&qt;

Haikuo

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

%LET QT=%eval(%sysfunc(QTR(%sysfunc(putn("&sysdate9"d,5.))))-1);

%put qt=&qt;

Haikuo

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

Got it. Thanks a lot!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No need to use PUTN on date literals. 

%let qt=%eval(%sysfunc(qtr("&sysdate9"d))-1);

But the %EVAL() is needed because the original requester had done it that way.  Not sure why they want to number quarters from 0 to 3 instead of from 1 to 4.

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

qtr("&sysdate9"d ) returnes the current quarter num which is 4, but I need the third quarter, so need -1.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you want to find the previous quarter then you should look into using the INTNX function.

For example what will happen when the current date is in January?  Do you want to get 0 or 4 as the returned quarter number?

%let refdate=01JAN2012;

%let prev_qtr=%sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),qtr.);

%put &prev_qtr;

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

Tom,

Your most recent code really help me with the question I had for a quite long time. I had the problem if the date went back across "Year". Now you resolved the problem. Thank you SO much!

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

Tom,

I see your macro returns previous year, month or quarter correctly by using date function. Any way I can get by 'yyyymm' or 'mm/dd/yyyy'?

Tom wrote:

If you want to find the previous quarter then you should look into using the INTNX function.

For example what will happen when the current date is in January?  Do you want to get 0 or 4 as the returned quarter number?

%let refdate=01JAN2012;

%put &prev_qtr;

For instance, our data provide date formatted as 'yyyymm' - '201209'  or 'mm/dd/yyyy' - '09/01/2012'. Can I get the same date formate one year backward?, say ''201110'

or '09/01/2011'? from some macros or functions?

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

is this what you want?

69  %let refdate=09/01/2012;

271  %let prev_year=%sysfunc(intnx(year,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),year.);

273  %put &prev_year;

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

No. I used the similar code before, only returned yyyy which in this case is 2011. I hope to get '09/01/2011' or '201109' for instance.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

299  %let refdate=09/01/2012;

301  %let prev_year=%sysfunc(intnx(year,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1,s),mmddyy10.);

303  %put &prev_year;

09/01/2011

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Linlin.

It worked correctly!  Just a thought if I use date( ) or today( ) as cutoff date instead of specific date(09/01/2012), so no need to change date every time later on. What function or macro do you suggest to use?

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

312  %let prev_year=%sysfunc(intnx(year,%sysfunc(today()),-1,s),mmddyy10.);

314  %put &prev_year;

10/25/2011

leisas
Calcite | Level 5

It worked perfectly! Thanks, Linlin!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Break down the statement into its pieces so you can see how to make the changes you want.  The second argument to the %SYSFUNC() function is the format that you want to use in creating the new macro variable.  So QTR. format returns the quarter number.  You could use YEAR. to get just the year.  Or DATE9 . You could use MMDDYY10. format to get 09/01/2012.  You could use YYMMN6. to get it as 201209.

Now if you want to change how the input macro variable is formatted then you need to change how you are passing in the second parameter of the INTNX() function call. The line above is using a date literal to feed the date value into the INTNX() function.  Date literals require ddMONyy or ddMONyyyy format.  But you can use another nested %SYSFUNC() macro call to allow you to use the INPUTN() function to convert strings in other date formats into date values.  For example you could use %sysfunc(inputn(09/01/2012,mmddyy10.)).

To read 201209 as a valid date is a little harder.  Try this.

%let refdate=201209 ;

%put %sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.));

Here are examples using three input formats: 25OCT2012, 10/25/2012 and 201210 and outputting using YEAR., QTR., DATE9., MMDDYY10., and YYMMN6. formats.

%let refdate=&sysdate9;

%put &refdate;

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),year.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),qtr.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),date9.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),mmddyy10.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,"&refdate"d,-1),yymmn6.);

%let refdate=10/25/2012;

%put &refdate;

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),year.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),qtr.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),date9.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),mmddyy10.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate,mmddyy10.)),-1),yymmn6.);

%let refdate=201210;

%put &refdate;

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.)),-1),year.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.)),-1),qtr.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.)),-1),date9.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.)),-1),mmddyy10.);

%put %sysfunc(intnx(qtr,%sysfunc(inputn(&refdate.01,yymmdd8.)),-1),yymmn6.);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation