BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is there a free way to test the CALL SOUND function ?

I'm in SAS Studio Free Version.

Please, i'd like to make a similar record of some music introduction.

Please tell there is a free way to test this.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The CALL SOUND function only works on PCs with a sound card and loudspeaker switched on and have Base SAS installed. If your SAS Studio is working with a remote SAS server then it won't work unfortunately.  

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks @SASKiwi.

But, is there any link or testcenter to test this function, for free ?

Smiley Sad

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I must admit to not using this for many years, but you can actually use it to play a tune if you so wish Smiley Very Happy.

I can't think of any free option unless you know someone with a PC with Base SAS installed. In the new world of SAS thin client tools like EG and SAS Studio and no Base SAS it just isn't going to work - just like other SAS legacy technology such as SAS/FSP and SAS/AF.

It would be fun though if you could play tunes on SAS servers sitting in a server room somewhere just to scare the maintenance staff...except blade servers don't have sound cards or loudspeakers! 

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You're might be the one who scare people if features like this are available for you.

Hahahaha. That was fun. 

My first idea was to create the introduction of "Since i've been loving you" of Led Zepp.

I play this song in a guitar and like to test if it is possible do this in SAS Programming, i know it is, but i can't Smiley Sad

Thanks man

FriedEgg
SAS Employee
CALL SOUND is a very simple mechanism and is only capable of playing a single note at a given time. I recall this paper:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi29/048-29.pdf

It includes a method to play Old McDonald Had a Farm in the appendix. So, if you really want to challenge yourself to create a monophony version of Since I've been loving you, by Led Zeppelin, have at it...

You can do it for free in any number of other programming languages as well.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation