BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jim_Hayes
Calcite | Level 5

Greetings.

I want to call a SAS program directly from a perl script.

I have been able to call a .bat file which successfully runs the job, but would prefer to be able to execute the job directly from perl.

--Jim

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Not familiar with Perl, however if you can call a .bat file, then presumably you can access the command line via the same method.  You would need to execute via command line something along the lines of

...\sas 9.2\sas.exe your_sas_script.sas

The SAS.EXE is the main executable which will open and compile the sas program.

Jim_Hayes
Calcite | Level 5

That was my first attempt.  but it failed. 

--Jim

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you test your SAS command first from a Windows command line. Once you have it working you can paste it into your Perl program. Also check out the SAS command documentation and try the -sysin option as well: ...\sas.exe -sysin mysasprog,sas.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

With Windows, you can use the integration technologies client com interfaces to interact with a local sas installation (even if you do not license integration technologies).  I may not be a necessary level of integration for you, especially given the presumption that you are a perl novice.  To call SAS directly from perl use the system command:

system - perldoc.perl.org

@args = ("C:/path/to/sas.exe", "sysin C:/path/to/code.sas");

system(@args) == 0 or die "oops\n"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation