DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

C++ access the SAS dataset through ODBC

Occasional Contributor LXL
Occasional Contributor

C++ access the SAS dataset through ODBC

Hello,everyone,who has a programming case for C++ to access the SAS dataset through ODBC ?, Could you send me one? Thank you every much.

Community Manager

Re: C++ access the SAS dataset through ODBC

From your previous questions, you shared that you are using Visual C++.  I'll assume that you have access to the various Windows developer frameworks: MFC and/or ATL.

Remember that accessing SAS via ODBC is supported only if your data is on a SAS/Share server or in a SAS SPDS environment.  You can't read a sas7bdat file directly -- for that, you use OLE DB.

Otherwise, use standard Visual C++ techniques for connecting to your SAS ODBC driver.  See this topic on MSDN for a start.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger
Thank you, can not i access local SAS data through ODBC if i do not use SAS/Share server or SAS SPDS ?
Community Manager

No, see information about the SAS ODBC driver here, and its uses.

But what's wrong with using OLE DB? That's a standard approach that can work with Microsoft development tools.  And we have a special book of "recipes" for different data access scenarios.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger
Thank you for your patience. I have tried to use ODBC to connect with SAS but i did not succeed. Do you mean that C++ is more likely to be successful in accessing SAS datasets through OLE DB? I am a novice,and I have read that SAS® 9.4 Providers for OLE DB: Cookbook, i think there is too little information and no case in this cookbook and on the internet ,could you give me more information about this? I look forward to your reply.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation