BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
endofline
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a question on how to work with variables with blank values. I recently imported in a dataset using the SAS import wizard. When I brought it in, I have a variable that has some missing values. When it brought the dataset in, insteading of assigning those values as a '.' they're blank instead. I'm trying to use that to exclude those cases, however, it isn't working since the values are blank. Any insight would be appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

When character strings are blank, refer to them as a blank within quotes:

if variable=' ' then delete;

Good luck.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Astounding
PROC Star

When character strings are blank, refer to them as a blank within quotes:

if variable=' ' then delete;

Good luck.

Reeza
Super User
Character variables denote missing as 'blank values'.
Numeric variables denote missing as '.'.

Use can use the missing()/nmiss/cmiss functions to determine a missing value.

For example
if missing(var) then do ...;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I assume that it is a character variable, not a numeric variable. Indeed, missing values of character variables are stored as single blanks, not periods. To exclude observations with missing values for that variable you could use a WHERE or IF contition of the form varname ne ' ' or, more generally (suitable also for numeric variables), not missing(varname).

Example:

data have;
length c $8;
input c;
cards;
abc
def
; /* Please note that the period in the raw data indicates the missing value although C is character! */

data want;
set have;
where not missing(c);
run;
nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

To check if a cell is empty, do not do

if var='';

use the function anyalnum :

if anyalnum(substr(strip(var),1,1)) = 0 then A="empty____"

if anyalnum(substr(strip(var),1,1)) ne 0 then A="not empty"

mkeintz
PROC Star

Tell us why you make that suggestion.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

nketata
Obsidian | Level 7

I imported a file from Excel using the command

libname go pcfiles path = C:\temp\myfile.xlsx' textsize = 32767;

data nicefile ;

set go.'Sheet1$'n;

if _N_=1 then call execute ('proc sort data=nicefile; by var1; run;'); run;

libname go clear;

and I had a process based on missing values in a character variables.

Some cells looked empty but they where not,  so my condition if var1='' was sometimes not valid.

Hence the use of the function

if anyalnum(substr(strip(var1),1,1)) ne 0

to make sure var1 starts with a letter or a number.

mkeintz
PROC Star

I think your advice is useful for eliminating all cells that don't contain numbers or letters, but I'm uncomfortable designating it as a way to see "if a cell is empty". I would not term a cell with non-printable characters as "empty", even if it is unwanted.

data _null_;

x='09'x;

put x= ;    /* X looks like a true blank */

put x=hex2.;  /* but printed in hex, we see it is not a hex 20 (e.g. a true blank) */

run;

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation