BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
buechler66
Barite | Level 11

Hi. Until today I had been told both imb_code and spm_calc_batch_date would be match between both my datasets, so the below Merge made sense.  However now the requirement has been changed and I'm honestly stumped.  

Imb_code will match imb_code, but now the IV dataset's version of spm_calc_batch_date  can differ to within 45 days of the BIDS's dataset version spm_calc_batch_date. This is because imb_codes get recycled after 45 days and my dataset contains over 90 days of data.

So the bottom line is I need to merge by imb_code and spm_calc_batch_date (within a 45 day window).  Is this even possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

* BIDS Version ;
proc sort data=bids_ora.bi_spm_piece_recon out=BIDS_bi_spm_piece_recon; by imb_code spm_calc_batch_date; run;
*IV Version ; proc sort data=iv_ora.bi_spm_piece_recon out=IV_bi_spm_piece_recon; by imb_code spm_calc_batch_date; run; * RULE: PIECES MISSING IN IV QUERY ; data QueryData; merge BIDS_bi_spm_piece_recon (in=a) IV_bi_spm_piece_recon (in=b); by imb_code spm_calc_batch_date; if a and not b; run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

SQL is really good at this type of merge. You can play with the join condition with calculations.

I'm not sure how the a not b would end up resolving in a situation like this. If the record is in A, not B there wouldn't be dates to join on to check the date interval?

Here's a start. Mock up some test data and play around until you get what you need. 

SQL Join types are documented here: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/33052/Visual-Representation-of-SQL-Joins

proc sql;
create table QueryData as
select *
from BIDS_bi_spm_piece_recon as a
left join IV_bi_spm_piece_recon as b
on a.imb_code=b.imb_code
and a.spm_calc_batch_date - b.spm_calc_batch_date between 0 and 45;
quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

SQL is really good at this type of merge. You can play with the join condition with calculations.

I'm not sure how the a not b would end up resolving in a situation like this. If the record is in A, not B there wouldn't be dates to join on to check the date interval?

Here's a start. Mock up some test data and play around until you get what you need. 

SQL Join types are documented here: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/33052/Visual-Representation-of-SQL-Joins

proc sql;
create table QueryData as
select *
from BIDS_bi_spm_piece_recon as a
left join IV_bi_spm_piece_recon as b
on a.imb_code=b.imb_code
and a.spm_calc_batch_date - b.spm_calc_batch_date between 0 and 45;
quit;
DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I agree with Reeza.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Yes, by using between - and join criteria in SQL, given I understood the matching criteria correctly.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation