BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mishka1
Fluorite | Level 6

I appologize if this is misfiled. I'm new here.

I'm looking for some direction to go with the below project. Any guidance or pitfalls to avoid will be appreciated.

I have about 100 select SQL statements that query different databases. My project requires them to be run each day and results stored in one table for easy user access. These queries often change. When they do, I want to be able to capture the change history so that if I ever wanted to run logic from say, "this date last year--but with this modification" I can do that for modeling purposes.

So it's at least 2 parts. One, what is the best way to store hundreds of SQL queries so that they can be executed? Two, how do you integrate a dated change log into the process?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First part: depends on the nature of your jobs. Do you mean that you have hundreds of SQL that are loading data in the same table? Are they dependent of each other? If the SQL's are quite complex and have dependencies, maybe Data Integration Server/Studio should be considered. If this approach is too heavy, implementing them as Enterprise Guide project could be one alternative - which at least give you some graphical view of the logic.

Second part: use a 3rd party system for this. Maybe your site already has one. Data Integration Studio (9.3) has direct integration with Concurrent Versions System (CVS) and Apache Subversion (SVN). These tools can use packages from DI Studio, EG projects or plain text-files with code (i.e. SQL).

Br

Linus

Data never sleeps
Mishka1
Fluorite | Level 6

I do have hundreds of SQL statements loading data to one table and they are all independent of each other. I am going to look into Data Integration Studio with CVS as a possible solution. Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation