BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bldudley
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I am a student learning SAS programming. I've been tasked with creating a segment

Here is the last results that I am using:

LastResults.JPG

Now what I need to do is:

Create 3 new "Customer Purchase Segments":

i)  The fans that bought all four merchandise items.  Name this "All Merch".

ii)  The fans that did not buy any merchandise items.  Name this "No Merch".

iii)  The fans that bought at least one item, but not more than 3 items.  "Some Merch".

I suspect that I am supposed to use if / then statements, but I'm not sure. Since I have 4 columns of data to consider (highlighted in the image above), I'm not entirely sure how to write this.

Please help.

Thank you so much, in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

And another idea:

data profoot.pro_football_segments;
   set profoot.pro_football_groups;
   total_merch= sum(bought_other_merch='Yes',bought_sweatshirt='Yes',bought_team_hat='Yes',bought_team_tshirt='Yes');
   /* typically at this point I would create a custom format for the total and be done*/
   length segment $ 20;
   select (total_merch);
      when (0) segment='No merch';
      when (4) segment='All merch';
      otherwise segment='Some merch';
   end;
run;

The Total_merch numeric may be useful other purposes.

A format like this could be used to format total_merch for analysis or report purposes.

proc format library=work;
value total_merch
0,. = 'No merch'
4   = 'All merch'
1,2,3 = 'Some merch'
;
run;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Example:

if bought_hat='Yes' and bought_tshirt='Yes' and bought_other='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' then segment='All Merch';
--
Paige Miller
bldudley
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you so much for the quick response. Do I need to create the variable first? If so, could you guide me on how that is done? I can't seem to get it work; keep getting errors in my log.

Thank you, again!

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Post your log, then we can see what is wrong 🙂

You can run the following code on your data to find out what the variable names actually are, as I suspect the ones you see are labels

proc contents data = yourdata; /* <-- Insert your dataset name here */
run; 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@bldudley wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick response. Do I need to create the variable first? If so, could you guide me on how that is done? I can't seem to get it work; keep getting errors in my log.

Thank you, again!

You can't just say "keep getting errors in my log".

Show us the SASLOG so we can see what you are seeing.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

You have a sample above but I thought I'd point you to some references so you can read up on this if you want:

SAS docs that cover IF/THEN statements

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/basess/68381/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0pcj5ajwyngron1wls...

SAS Video tutorials list:

http://support.sas.com/training/tutorial/

Note on the bottom right hand corner you'll find a link to the free SAS programming e-course.

bldudley
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,
I am adding my code and log information

label segment = 'Customer Purchase Segments';
	if bought_other_merch='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' and bought_team_hat='Yes' and bought_team_tshirt='Yes' then segment='All Merch';
	if bought_other_merch='No' and bought_sweatshirt='No' and bought_team_hat='No' and bought_team_tshirt='No' then segment='No Merch';
	Else if 'Some Merch';
run;
LOG: 

1          OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
 62         data profoot.pro_football_segments;
 63         set profoot.pro_football_groups;
 64         label segment = 'Customer Purchase Segments';
 65         if bought_other_merch='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' and bought_team_hat='Yes' and bought_team_tshirt='Yes' then
 65       ! segment='All Merch';
 66         if bought_other_merch='No' and bought_sweatshirt='No' and bought_team_hat='No' and bought_team_tshirt='No' then
 66       ! segment='No Merch';
 67         Else if 'Some Merch';
 68         run;

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).
       67:10   
 NOTE: Invalid numeric data, 'Some Merch' , at line 67 column 10.
 Fan_ID=10153 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=46 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Season Ticket Holder games_attended=8
 Age_bracket=40s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
 Fan_ID=10246 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=19 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=Under 20 segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=2
 Fan_ID=10591 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=24 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
 games_attended=5 Age_bracket=20s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=3
 Fan_ID=10791 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=42 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=2
 Age_bracket=40s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=4
 Fan_ID=11319 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=32 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=3
 Age_bracket=30s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=5
 Fan_ID=11925 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=35 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=30s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=6
 Fan_ID=12369 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=220 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=45 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=6
 Age_bracket=40s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=7
 Fan_ID=12524 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Cash
 dollars_spent=220 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=27 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
 games_attended=5 Age_bracket=20s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=8
 Fan_ID=12532 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=48 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=4
 Age_bracket=40s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=9
 Fan_ID=12539 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=50 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=7
 Age_bracket=50s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=10
 Fan_ID=12784 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=220 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=44 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
 games_attended=7 Age_bracket=40s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=11
 Fan_ID=12978 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=25 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
 games_attended=7 Age_bracket=20s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=12
 Fan_ID=13107 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=220 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=58 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=7
 Age_bracket=50s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=13
 Fan_ID=13172 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Cash
 dollars_spent=40 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=25 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=20s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=14
 Fan_ID=13296 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Cash
 dollars_spent=220 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=49 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=40s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=15
 Fan_ID=13308 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Credit
 dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=54 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=50s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=16
 Fan_ID=13408 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Cash
 dollars_spent=40 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=68 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=60s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=17
 Fan_ID=13443 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=280 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=45 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=40s segment=All Merch _ERROR_=1 _N_=18
 Fan_ID=13668 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Cash
 dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=52 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=50s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=19
 WARNING: Limit set by ERRORS= option reached.  Further errors of this type will not be printed.
 Fan_ID=13880 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
 dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=48 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
 Age_bracket=40s segment=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=20
 NOTE: There were 473 observations read from the data set PROFOOT.PRO_FOOTBALL_GROUPS.
 NOTE: The data set PROFOOT.PRO_FOOTBALL_SEGMENTS has 10 observations and 16 variables.
 NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
       real time           0.02 seconds
       cpu time            0.02 seconds

70         OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

I should have over 400 observations.

ballardw
Super User

@bldudley wrote:

Hello,
I am adding my code and log information

LOG: 

1          OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
 62         data profoot.pro_football_segments;
 63         set profoot.pro_football_groups;
 64         label segment = 'Customer Purchase Segments';
 65         if bought_other_merch='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' and bought_team_hat='Yes' and bought_team_tshirt='Yes' then
 65       ! segment='All Merch';

I should have over 400 observations.

The first time you reference the variable SEGMENT was in the LABEL statement. Since a type had not been assigned prior to that then SAS assumend that SEGMENT was going to be a numeric variable. "Some merch" is not valid for numeric.

Add

Length segment $ 20;

before the label statement to declare the variable as character.

bldudley
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. That did help.

However, I'm still a little stuck.

I'm supposed to have 473 observations. I changed the second line from "if" to Else "if" and I had more observations show, but still not all 473. Any ideas?

Code:

Length segment $ 15;
	label segment = 'Customer Purchase Segments';
	if bought_other_merch='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' and bought_team_hat='Yes' and bought_team_tshirt='Yes' then segment='All Merch';
	else if bought_other_merch='No' and bought_sweatshirt='No' and bought_team_hat='No' and bought_team_tshirt='No' then segment='No Merch';
	Else if 'Some Merch';
run;

Log after running that data step with length format included:

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
62 data profoot.pro_football_segments;
63 set profoot.pro_football_groups;
64 Length segment $ 15;
65 label segment = 'Customer Purchase Segments';
66 if bought_other_merch='Yes' and bought_sweatshirt='Yes' and bought_team_hat='Yes' and bought_team_tshirt='Yes' then
66 ! segment='All Merch';
67 else if bought_other_merch='No' and bought_sweatshirt='No' and bought_team_hat='No' and bought_team_tshirt='No' then
67 ! segment='No Merch';
68 Else if 'Some Merch';
69 run;

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).
68:10
NOTE: Invalid numeric data, 'Some Merch' , at line 68 column 10.
Fan_ID=10153 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=46 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Season Ticket Holder games_attended=8
Age_bracket=40s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
Fan_ID=10246 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=19 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=Under 20 segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=2
Fan_ID=10591 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=24 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
games_attended=5 Age_bracket=20s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=3
Fan_ID=10791 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=42 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=2
Age_bracket=40s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=4
Fan_ID=11319 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=32 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=3
Age_bracket=30s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=5
Fan_ID=11925 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=35 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=30s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=6
Fan_ID=12532 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=48 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=4
Age_bracket=40s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=9
Fan_ID=12539 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=50 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=7
Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=10
Fan_ID=12978 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=25 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games
games_attended=7 Age_bracket=20s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=12
Fan_ID=13172 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Cash
dollars_spent=40 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=25 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=20s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=14
Fan_ID=13308 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=54 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=16
Fan_ID=13408 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Cash
dollars_spent=40 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=68 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=60s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=17
Fan_ID=13668 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Stadium Cash
dollars_spent=155 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=52 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=19
Fan_ID=13880 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=190 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=48 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=1
Age_bracket=40s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=20
Fan_ID=14026 Bought_Team_Hat=No Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=95 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=64 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=6
Age_bracket=60s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=22
Fan_ID=14109 Bought_Team_Hat=No Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=No Bought_Sweatshirt=Yes payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=115 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=65 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Season Ticket Holder games_attended=8
Age_bracket=60s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=23
Fan_ID=14202 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=51 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games
games_attended=4 Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=24
Fan_ID=14507 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=48 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends More Than 50% of Games games_attended=5
Age_bracket=40s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=25
Fan_ID=14730 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=Yes Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Stadium Credit
dollars_spent=135 H=. i=5 gender=Male age=52 Marital_Status=Married Game_Attendance=Season Ticket Holder games_attended=8
Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=26
WARNING: Limit set by ERRORS= option reached. Further errors of this type will not be printed.
Fan_ID=14799 Bought_Team_Hat=Yes Bought_Team_TShirt=No Bought_Other_Merch=Yes Bought_Sweatshirt=No payment_method=Team Website
dollars_spent=105 H=. i=5 gender=Female age=55 Marital_Status=Single Game_Attendance=Attends Less Than 50% of Games games_attended=3
Age_bracket=50s segment= _ERROR_=1 _N_=27
NOTE: There were 473 observations read from the data set PROFOOT.PRO_FOOTBALL_GROUPS.
NOTE: The data set PROFOOT.PRO_FOOTBALL_SEGMENTS has 94 observations and 16 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.01 seconds
cpu time 0.02 seconds

71 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
Reeza
Super User

The ELSE is incorrect, it should be:

Else segment =  'Some Merch';

bldudley
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes! Thank you SO much.

This makes sense to me now.

ballardw
Super User

And another idea:

total_merch= sum(bought_other_merch='Yes',bought_sweatshirt='Yes',bought_team_hat='Yes',bought_team_tshirt='Yes');
   /* typically at this point I would create a custom format for the total and be done*/
   length segment $ 20;
   select (total_merch);
      when (0) segment='No merch';
      when (4) segment='All merch';
      otherwise segment='Some merch';
   end;
run;

The Total_merch numeric may be useful other purposes.

A format like this could be used to format total_merch for analysis or report purposes.

proc format library=work;
value total_merch
0,. = 'No merch'
4   = 'All merch'
1,2,3 = 'Some merch'
;
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Formats, as @ballardw says, make your life easier.

In addition, instead of having Yes or No as the variable's values, if you use 1 or 0 instead of Yes or No, it's a lot less typing because all you have to do is add the four variables together with the SUM function.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 5 in conversation