BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cypher85
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a question. I need to rename all of the variables in a sas dataset. I have another sas dataset that has 2 columns, the variable names, and what the variable names need to be renamed to. Is there a way for me to batch rename the variables in the one dataset based on the information contained in the other dataset, without doing it manually? Also, they are completely different names, it isn't simply adding a prefix or suffix. For example, I need to rename "_76532x2x26" to "HaveSurgery".

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

A simple way (if the list is small enough) is to generate a macro variable with pairs from the RENAME table.

Then you can use the list in a RENAME statement in a data step or PROC DATASETS step or even in RENAME= dataset option.

Example:

proc sql noprint ;

select catx('=',oldname,newname) into :renames separated by ' ' from RENAME ;

quit;

data want ;

set have ;

rename &renames;

run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Executing even faster is probably

proc sql noprint ;

select catx('=',oldname,newname) into :renames separated by ' ' from RENAME ;

quit;

proc datasets nolist library=work;

modify datasetname;

rename &renames;

run;

quit;

--
Paige Miller
cypher85
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

both methods work great! Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation