BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kmj636
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am studying for the Base Certification Exam and I have some questions over how SAS assigns length to VARs after using a character function such as CATX. So here are the things I think I know with CATX:

a)   the default byte length is 200

b)   the length statement can define the byte lenght to anything (when used at the top of the data step)

c)   the newly created VAR from CATX will assume the byte length of all the concatenated values such as byte 5!! byte2!! byte7 = NewCharacterVAR of 14bytes 

My question then is, when are any of the character manipulation functions returning a value of 200 when separating and concatenating? You are always creating a new character value when using these, correct? So are they not always going to be the sum of the VARs that make them up? I am really confused over the rules of character manipulation and anyone who could shed some light on this or point me in the direction of additional reading material would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help and time -

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The best way to know is to test!  Write some code and see what SAS does with it!

The key thing is that you should always define your variables instead of forcing SAS to guess what you want.

If it knows nothing about the variable other than that it is character then it will default to $8.  

input str $ ;

But if it can see that you are creating the variable from other variables then if can try to figure out how big it should be.

length x $10;
y=x;

It can even figure some that involve operators or functions.

length a b c $10;
x =a||b;
y=substr(c,1,5);

But in general when it cannot figure out length of the function result will be for every possible input then it will use $200.

length a b c $50;
x = catx(',',a,b,c);

Also watch out for using these in PROC SQL as some of them have shorter limits on what they can return when used in PROC SQL (at least they used to).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kmj636
Obsidian | Level 7
Do you think I am confusing CATX and CAT?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The best way to know is to test!  Write some code and see what SAS does with it!

The key thing is that you should always define your variables instead of forcing SAS to guess what you want.

If it knows nothing about the variable other than that it is character then it will default to $8.  

input str $ ;

But if it can see that you are creating the variable from other variables then if can try to figure out how big it should be.

length x $10;
y=x;

It can even figure some that involve operators or functions.

length a b c $10;
x =a||b;
y=substr(c,1,5);

But in general when it cannot figure out length of the function result will be for every possible input then it will use $200.

length a b c $50;
x = catx(',',a,b,c);

Also watch out for using these in PROC SQL as some of them have shorter limits on what they can return when used in PROC SQL (at least they used to).

kmj636
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! Testing now

kmj636
Obsidian | Level 7

This was very helpful. Viewing the contents of these various scenarios was really helpful to understanding this. Thank you for your help and time.

ballardw
Super User

Reading the documentation can actually help. For instance from the online help for CATX:

Length of Returned Variable

In a DATA step, if the CATX function returns a value to a variable that has not previously been assigned a length, then that variable is given a length of 200 bytes. If the concatenation operator (||) returns a value to a variable that has not previously been assigned a length, then that variable is given a length that is the sum of the lengths of the values that are being concatenated.

So this paragraph shows why you may get different lengths with
y = catx(',', var1, var2);
and
y = var1||','||var2;

when y has not had a length assigned.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation