BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Wang_Yajun
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm now using SAS9.2, and I want to get my sas code run automatically to do some rountine work, is there any possible way? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The handling of the Windows Task Planner is described here:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-create-task-basic-task-wizard

I would advise to create a batch file first that runs SAS with your program.

It should contain a line with something like this:

"C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2(32-bit)\sas.exe" -sysin insert_program_here.sas -log where_you_want_a_log.log

Test this batch file from the cmd window first to see if it works, then use the Task Planner to create a scheduled event that runs the batch file.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Mostly depends on your setup. If you have SAS on a server, that server will provide a scheduling tool.

What you need is a script (batch, whatever your system wants) that runs SAS in batch mode with the supplied program.

Enterprise Guide already provides a method to create a job for a project so that the Windows scheduler can run it.

Wang_Yajun
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,KurtBremser

Thanks for your reply. I don't have SAS EG on my personal PC. I have SAS 9.2 BASE installed in my PC, and my system is WIN7. I wonder if I can use base SAS code to get the SAS file run automatically . If not, could you give a sample script that can get the job done? Thanks a lot.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The handling of the Windows Task Planner is described here:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-create-task-basic-task-wizard

I would advise to create a batch file first that runs SAS with your program.

It should contain a line with something like this:

"C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2(32-bit)\sas.exe" -sysin insert_program_here.sas -log where_you_want_a_log.log

Test this batch file from the cmd window first to see if it works, then use the Task Planner to create a scheduled event that runs the batch file.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

BTW, you should take a look at your SAS install media. EG is usually included with Base SAS and works with a locally installed SAS without need for additional server processes (Metadata, Spawner).

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

This is a guide for SAS 8/Win2K.

I think it still applies, even if some windows/search paths may be different from your setup.

http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts648.pdf

Hope it isn't important stuff it should do, doesn't sound too reliable to execute batch jobs on a client PC.

Data never sleeps
Wang_Yajun
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, LinusH

Thanks for your reply, I help me a lot. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Linus,

since his "client PC" also holds the core SAS software, I guess it is of a workstation type and is supposed to run round the clock. I also guess that scheduling in this context isn't so much a production thing and time-critical, but more of a personal helper.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation