BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dincooo
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi experts,

I have daily populated SAS tables under a library.

These tables are in the format like that: (date is in the end)

table_x20180516

table_x20180515

table_x20180514

table_xy20180516

table_xy20180515

I want to write a script that runs at the server and deletes today()-10 dated tables.

How can i write that kind of script.

Thank you very much,

Best Regards

Onur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If it has to be done in SAS code then that's possible. This would be a way to do it:

%let lib=MYLIB;
data tables;
	set sashelp.vtable(where=(libname="&lib"));
	if index(memname, '2018');
	memdate = substr(memname, length(memname)-8+1); /* Take last 8 positions as the date */
	if today() - input(memdate, yymmdd8.) > 10 then do; /* Older than 10 days */
		call execute ("proc delete data=&lib.." || trim(memname) || '; run;');		
	end;
run;

You would probably want to refine this (testing only the proper members are taken into account) but is is meant as a start.

Hope this help,

-- Jan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would ask your IT to setup a daily job to do this, rather than writing SAS code to do it.

But then I would have all that data in one dataset, with a variable date in the data, that way I only have one dataset containing my data, and then I really have a very simple life of filter out the data I want to remove by:

data want;
  set have;
  where file_date >= today()-10;
run;

One dataset, with the data in variables is so much easier to work with than splitting data up into multiple files, and having data items in filenames.

dincooo
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your answer, but the thing is that these tables are populated by a batch code. I dont have the chance to edit these codes so I have to find a way to delete today()-10 date tables.

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If it has to be done in SAS code then that's possible. This would be a way to do it:

%let lib=MYLIB;
data tables;
	set sashelp.vtable(where=(libname="&lib"));
	if index(memname, '2018');
	memdate = substr(memname, length(memname)-8+1); /* Take last 8 positions as the date */
	if today() - input(memdate, yymmdd8.) > 10 then do; /* Older than 10 days */
		call execute ("proc delete data=&lib.." || trim(memname) || '; run;');		
	end;
run;

You would probably want to refine this (testing only the proper members are taken into account) but is is meant as a start.

Hope this help,

-- Jan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation