vacnum(i)='--';
	 end;
     if pct(i)='99+' and origvacpct(i) le 1  then do;
		vacpct(i)='<=1';
		vacnum(i)='--';
	 end;

end;
run;

The variables in the array origvacpct are numeric.

The rest of the variables in the remaining arrays are character.

For variables in the pct array that are  '90+' we need the values in the array vacpct to be  '<=10' if the variables values in the array origvacpct are <=10.  And we need the corresponding variables in the array vacnum to be '--'.

For variables in the pct array that are  '95+' we need the values in the array vacpct to be  '<=5' if the variables values in the array origvacpct are <=5.  And we need the corresponding variables in the array vacnum to be '--'.

For variables in the pct array that are  '99+' we need the values in the array vacpct to be  '<=1' if the variables values in the array origvacpct are <=1.  And we need the corresponding variables in the array vacnum to be '--'.

However, the output doesn't consistently code the variables in vacpct and vacnum as expected.  I get no error messages.

What am I doing wrong?  Thank so much!

5 REPLIES 5
art297
Opal | Level 21

It would help to have some test data, but here are two initial thoughts:

1. You use sevenpct(i) in your code, but I didn't see such an array being declared. However, that should have resulted in an error

2. You don't include a $ before the variable list in your character arrays

Also, I typically declare the array size (e.g. pct(*) or pct(4), or the like, but I don't think that is your problem if the code isn't producing an error.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

jcis7
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your feedback. Question: if all the variables exist already, do I still need a dollar sign before the variables in my array? 
I don't have them in other areas of my code and it still runs with the expected output.  Is the dollar sign only if you are creating new variables? 

Also it is is a good practice to declare the variable length and whether it is character or numeric even if the variables already exist? If so, can you help me understand why? 

art297
Opal | Level 21

If the variables already exist then, no, you don't have to declare the arrays as being character or their length.

As for your other question, I don't think there is an officicial SOP. Whatever works best for you and allows your code to be both understood by others and most easily maintainable. However, in that regard, your code only uses implicit arrays (i.e., arrays without subscripts). Those aren't even mentioned in the documentation anymore, so I wouldn't recommend using them.

One question though. Your pct array only has five variables, while your others each have six. Was that a typo?

Back to your original question, your providing some example have and want data will make it easier for anyone to let you know if your code appears to be working as intended.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

dancy0824
Fluorite | Level 6

Could you show us the input data you used, and output you got as well? That would be helpful to solve your issue.

ballardw
Super User

Hi, I have the following code but it isn't working as expected:

Then show some input data and the expected output.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation