BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Davanden
Obsidian | Level 7

I have two variables, X and Y, plus another variable S. X and Y are integers in the range 1-7. S is a character variable that takes the value '1' and some others. I want to create a series of flags, A1-A4, according to these rules.

• IF S='1', set the flag corresponding to the larger of X and Y, subject to the maximum of 4. For example, if X=1 and Y=2, then set A2 = 1, leaving the other flags equal to zero. If X=2 and Y=6, set A4=1, etc.
  • IF S is anything else, set the flag corresponding to Y, with the same maximum (ignore X entirely).

I first wrote this:

DATA Test;
	SET Source;
	ARRAY A[4] A1-A4 (0 0 0 0);
	IF S = '1' THEN
		A[MIN(4,MAX(X,Y))] = 1;
	ELSE
		A[MIN(4,Y)] = 1;
RUN;

As I read that, it should change only one of the A1-A4 flags for each record. But what I find is that ALL of the values of A1-A4 get set to 1.

If I do this,

DATA Test;
	SET Source;
	A1 = 0;
	A2 = 0;
	A3 = 0;
	A4 = 0;
	ARRAY A[4] A1-A4;
	IF S = '1' THEN
		A[MIN(4,MAX(X,Y))] = 1;
	ELSE
		A[MIN(4,Y)] = 1;
RUN;

I get what I want. What is the difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

The inital values for the array implies RETAIN of those variables.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

The inital values for the array implies RETAIN of those variables.

Davanden
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks to all who replied.  I seldom use the ability to intialize arrays, and I see that there were implications of doing that which I didn't realize.

Thanks also to those who showed me how to make the code more compact.  Those are clever uses of SAS functions.  I'm not sure if I will use them.  I fear that a few years from now, someone (possibly me) will look at the code and say, "What the heck does that do?"  I don't want my code to be more clever than my ability to understand it!

--Dav

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

ARRAY A[4] A1-A4 (0 0 0 0);

initialises the values only once: when the array is created.

There are 2 cases when array values are not reset in the data step loop: when they are temporary, and when their values are initialised.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

If it helps, you can shrink your if clauses:

data source;
  s="1"; x=3; y=3; output;
  s="2"; x=1; y=6; output;
run;
data test;
  set source; 
  array a[4] (0 0 0 0);
  a[min(4,max(x,y))]=ifn(s='1',1,0);
run;
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Side note: The specifiction of an initial value for one array variable implies RETAIN for all variables of the array, including those which are not initialized.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation