BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
art297
Opal | Level 21

I can't recall if this question has ever being asked. When one includes a by statement in a procedure, and follows the by variable names with the option NOTSORTED, and the data are sorted, the option doesn't appear to have any adverse effect.

Does it have any effect(s) I'm not aware of?

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Good question!

The option NOTSORTED cannot be used when the ordering of two or more datasets needs to be the same. You cannot use it in a datastep with MERGE and UPDATE. You can make NOTSORTED the default with global option NOBYSORTED.

More generally, I find the default option (that the observations are sorted by the BY variables) a useful safeguard against accidental reordering, as can happen for example as the result of a SQL query.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 5 likes
  • 2 in conversation