BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KindOfASASAdmin
Calcite | Level 5

My company uses SSH endpoints in Microsoft's TFS heavily to accomplish deployment tasks across our various systems. Our users/SAS developers mostly just use raw SAS code in prod deploy scenarios, and we don't do large metadata exports of projects when deploying to Prod (another server). We run the code with a custom-made script that executes the code using the SAS binary "sas" executable (or GSUB); that is then automated with external to SAS third-party software.

The Git Flow workflow is hot in the general dev community right now, but this is maybe less known to the SAS community. Is this worth the training time cost to ask our SAS user community to enforce this (am an admin)? It doesn't seem too complex but could be a way to give some structure to how git is used in our environment (if it's used at all). https://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Our company is moving away from SVN.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In my opinion the way you are running Production code seems complicated. We use the SAS-supplied LSF scheduler to run / schedule Production jobs via SAS Management Console. Setting up and running jobs is a simple point-and-click task.

We are also heavy users of TFS but purely for version control and Production deployment of SAS programs only (not metadata). TFS interfaces very well with SAS Enterprise Guide, our preferred code development interface.

KindOfASASAdmin
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah I would experiment with the LSF scheduler but we are locked down by company policy to use a different 3rd-party scheduler. In practice it can be useful to manage dependences across platforms. But it can also be limiting, i.e. can't use cron either

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation