BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
easygoing
Calcite | Level 5
Dear experts,

This question is somewhat econometrics question. I believe that experts here can help me understand this.
I'm estimating panel regressions and have two equations, which are exactly the same, except that 
in Equation 1 both time and firm fixed effects are included whereas in Equation 2 only time fixed effects are included: Equation 1: y x1 x2 x3 timedummy firm-dummy
Equation 2 : y x1 x2 x3 timedummy Looking at the adjusted R-Squared I was surprised to see that it is lower in Eq.1 than in Eq.2. As explained in econometric books, adding fixed effects is simmilar to including dummies for each individual. Thus, intuitively, as there are more variables in the Eq.1, I thought that the adjusted R-squared should be higher than in Eq.2. Why adjusted R-squared is lowed in Eq.1? It would be greatly appreciated if you help understand this! Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

I would suspect the actual values of the Firm_dummy variable have a lot of bearing.

You should show which regression code you ran and the diagnostics output, or better the actual data and code so we may duplicate your results. You could use instructions here https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... on how to generate data step code of your data that you can paste to the forum to recreate your data (or a subset sufficient to demonstrate the issue).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation