BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Xiaoningdemao
Quartz | Level 8

Dear All,

I just have one question in general. Can i read in a access file in SAS while I don't have MICROSOFT ACCESS  installed?

I tried using libname satement and import, neither worked.

Thank you!

Best wishes.

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

AFAIK you don't need Access to read an Access DB.

Post the code you've tried and the errors you've received.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Right, this is something I have been trying recently.  You need something available to read it, be that the Office suite, ACE ODBC driver, PCFiles Server etc.  If the file is old, MDB then its even more of a pain, bit incompatabilities etc.  We had to get an old version of Access and upgrade the version of those files.  Simply put, if you use M$ products you are tied into their software.  A final option, you could look at OpenOffice, LibreOffice, they tend to have parsers that can read files from Office.  Don't know how good they are for Access.  

There is however one other option that I found, its called youaccess, a command line tool which can dump the data out from MDB files to CSV:

http://youaccess.sourceforge.net/

It doesn't get the metadata (i.e. the structure of the data) as that is held very awkwardly in MDB, however you can get the data out.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation