BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am constantly getting this error "A lock is not available for dataset" when data set is writing or some body has opened the data set. I wonder if there is an effective solution to overcome this or to know if the data set is in use.

Thanks !

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

One way to test the availibilty of a dataset is to try opening it. For example:

data _null_;
 DSID=open('work.table');
 if DSID then putlog 'Unlocked';
 else         putlog 'Locked';
 RC=close(DSID);
run;

If you need access while writes are taking place, SAS/SHARE might be your answer.

It allows just this.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please describe your environment.

What kind of data, and access patterns to the data do you have?

What kind of updates do you do, frequency?

Data volumes etc.

Data never sleeps
SAS_inquisitive
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@LinusH  Windows environment. This is related to financial data such customer information, transactions etc.  The programs are scheduled to run daily, hence, they are updated daily. Some programs also create historical data (appending today's data to yesterday;s).  Data records are in hundred of millions.  When I am creating some ad hoc report using the permanent data set that is currently being written by the program, I get this error. I suppose I have to wait until it finished buliding the data set.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Quite large environment I guess.
If you haven't already done so, separate the historical complete data from the user access data (aka data marts).
Still, you need to consider locking problems in the user access area. What kind of clients do you use? If you can limit access through the server, there are some actions that can throw out user that is locking the table.
Another option is to consider another storage engine. With the volumes you are describing SAS/SHARE may not be feasible. SAS/SPD Server has a more intelligent and much more efficient way to handle concurrent access.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation