BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

I'd like to calculate 95th percentile of each BMI observation of the data (attached). 

Attached is the correct data (first 100 observations of real data) where bmi95 is 95th pctl for each BMI values. Do you know how I can reproduce it in SAS? My actual data has only BMI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

The CDC code is not much use without the WHO data and descriptions. Since the CDC code has parameters built in for its distribution I don't see any way to "replicate" the code without the parameters from WHO. Since CDC has not, at least as far as I have found, released the modeling used to build their parameter data set and the data used to build that model ...

Have you looked at http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/bmi_for_age/en/  ? and all the related pages. There are some data tables with percentiles and such by age but I haven't the time to find all the details. Also there are some software downloads there that may be applicable. I doubt that you will get a direct comparable program to the CDC SAS code. Also you need to pick your ages of interest.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
How are you defining that? You can calculate the percentiles for each observation, but I’m not familiar with a statistic that is the ‘95th percentile’ for each observation. By definition, the 95th percentile for a data set is a specific value. If you want the percentile for each observation that’s relatively trivial.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza

Attached is publicly available SAS code to showcase how bmi95 is calculated for BMI based on CDC growth chart. I'm trying to do the same thing for BMI based on WHO data growth chart.

Reeza
Super User

Can’t open SAS files at the moment. If I remember later, I’ll try and check back in. 

ballardw
Super User

The CDC code is not much use without the WHO data and descriptions. Since the CDC code has parameters built in for its distribution I don't see any way to "replicate" the code without the parameters from WHO. Since CDC has not, at least as far as I have found, released the modeling used to build their parameter data set and the data used to build that model ...

Have you looked at http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/bmi_for_age/en/  ? and all the related pages. There are some data tables with percentiles and such by age but I haven't the time to find all the details. Also there are some software downloads there that may be applicable. I doubt that you will get a direct comparable program to the CDC SAS code. Also you need to pick your ages of interest.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation