BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Dear All,

It was just occured to me that I still have this question on 2x Do-loops regarless of so many times I have used them.

For example:

data have;

infile cards missover;

input YEAR     patient $     Mortality_in365days $;

cards;

1990     221

1991     221

1991     221

1993     221

1995     221     *

2000     789

2001     789

2002     789     *

2001     965

2005     965     *

;

data want;

do until (last.patient);

set have;

by patient year;

Death_year=ifn(last.patient,year,death_year);

retain death_year;

end;

do until (last.patient);

set have;

by patient year;

Years_Before_death=death_year-year;

output;

end;

run;

My question is: by the time the first loop reaches the end of first 'have', the datastep should stop, so the final output should be lacking the last group of data, say patient= 965 should not be seen in the final output. Instead, datastep keeps on moving forward, and only being finished after the second set reach its end. I mean I am really glad that datastep acts smart on this one, the 2xDUL gets to hold its charm. But why?

Thanks in advance for all of your inputs and Answers!

Haikuo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

I can't write a full paper here to explain the concept but, forunately, Paul Dorfman and Koen Vyverman already have.  Take a good look at http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/038-2009.pdf .

I think it will provide all of the explanations you are seeking.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

I can't write a full paper here to explain the concept but, forunately, Paul Dorfman and Koen Vyverman already have.  Take a good look at http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/038-2009.pdf .

I think it will provide all of the explanations you are seeking.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Wow, it is a GREAT paper! I probably need more time to dwell on it, but Thanks, Art!

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Hai.kuo,

I looked at the paper Art recommended. It is a very good paper. I made some changes to one of your posts for practice.  Thank you!

data have;

input naics4 $ taxable1-taxable5;

cards;

1 20 30 40 50 60

1 25 35 45 55 65

1 30 40 50 60 70

2 20 30 40 50 60

2 25 35 45 55 65

3 30 40 50 60 70

;

run;

data want (drop=tax: );

do  until (last.naics4);

set have;

by naics4;

array tax(*) taxable1-taxable5;

array st(*) sum_tax1-sum_tax5;

do _n_=1 to dim(tax);

st(_n_)=sum(st(_n_),tax(_n_));

end;

end;

run;

proc print;run;

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Haikuo,

The problem is not with the DO loop.  It has to do with the behavior of the SET statement. 

"What SET Does

Each time the SET statement                     is executed, SAS reads one observation into the program data vector.                     SET reads all variables and all observations from the input data                     sets unless you tell SAS to do otherwise. A SET statement can contain                     multiple data sets; a DATA step can contain multiple SET statements.                     See                                      Combining and Modifying SAS Data Sets: Examples.                  "

By design, the second SET statement starts over at the beginning of the dataset.  There are examples in the documentation that cover the behavior that you observed.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation