BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Michelle
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am not a SAS administrator, and I'm not sure the person that installs/administers SAS at my company is either, so I'm looking for leads on what could be causing this issue.... My SAS was recently upgraded from locally installed 9.3 to virtual 9.4, and my laptop has Windows 7 Enterprise. 

If I am working in SAS and I save a file, say a report or a program I have written, to the 'desktop' (c:\users\myusername\desktop), I can see it just fine from within SAS if I go to open it later. However, if I look for the files later (from outside of SAS, with the explorer, or notepad), the files are nowhere to be found.... I have tried checking the folders that the desktop is supposed to be linking to, and still don't see the files I saved from within SAS...  However, except for the files I saved in SAS, everything else about what is on my desktop appears excactly the same when I look at it from within SAS or just the  windows explorer. The file paths appear to be the same. Also, if I save SAS files to any other folder from within SAS, they appear just as they should. It is just something with the desktop folder.

Thanks for any hints!

Regards,

Clueless and frustrated

5 REPLIES 5
acfarrer
Quartz | Level 8

There is a good chance that the 'Desktop' known to your virtual 9.4 is not c:\users\myusername\desktop on your local machine but on the server where your virtual 9.4 is hosted. You could try looking at the values of &SYSHOSTNAME and &SYSTCPIPHOSTNAME from within both SAS sessions to check.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Aside having virtual machines that look like your desktop but is a different one you can have bubbles or virtualize to on on your own desktop.

I can understand this is confusing as all looks the same but is not. The result you cannot find your data.....

With the delivery of some virtualization somebody should explain the difference.  Nobody is doing that.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
LeeHerman
SAS Employee

Jaap, I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for with your comment on someone explaining the difference with virtualization. Can you please expand on the comment/question a little?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Lee (no not for Michelle question directly)....

Seen your role, thanks for your attention.

I always had some questions related to capacity management (ITIL context) ...

1/Why is SAS using that a complicated approach with the software depot and installing from there. It is requiring almost always a reverse engineering to get it into required processes that SAS is not recognizing.

2/ the msi options for some parts (base eguide amo) with 9.4 are helpfull but imo more is to be done.

3/ SAS studio, the java clients DI EM etc are zero impact for Windows not needing a msi package this would make a lot things easier. But why introducing browser dependencies?

I do no expect answers in this thread.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Lee, just an expansion. The desktop usage got a bad reputation by all that cases of installing "applicatons" causing instable behavior by unforeseen interactions. Bigger organizations do not like that unpredictable faulty behavior.

One approach could be placing several physical desktops, you are carrying easily multiple laptops. With increasing number of combinations this is not workable.

The virtualization of those many machines makes it understandable but still confusing. None of those desktop will have any shared resources.

The latest approach with windows msi packaging in building those desktops is Microsoft virtualization based on what soft grid has done. As this is the standard for ms-engineers I expect this is also done at OP's organization.

It is a little bit different to the complete machine virtualization as only the changes are the ones being focussed on.

There is however a hierarchie in a bubble (client) you can see the top level your common desktop but the other way not

Think about that in global and local defined windows parts.

The local parts cannot be seen by any other bubble unless explicitly specified by the packager.

This is what OP has described being confronted with.

Quite normal in the technical design of packaging.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation