Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

"User does not have appropriate authorization level for library 'library name'"

Contributor

We have a SAS BI platform installed on, let's say, server#1.  When I try to access a SAS library on another server, let's say, server#2, we get the error message:

User is able to access that directory location locally from the Run command box on server#1.  So, to me it looks like the OS permissions are correct, but when SAS tries to assign a library, from the SAS server as that user, it fails with an authorization error:

It seems like SAS itself does not have the permission to access the data on the other server.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Trusted Advisor

The user may only have read access.  SAS generally asks for write access when allocating libraries.

When I searched for "User does not have appropriate authorization level" on support.sas.com, I found about a dozen different conditions that could cause that error message.  Research them, or call Tech Support.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Occasional Contributor

Do you have the accounts tab under "User Manager" within SAS Management Console correct?  Namely the logins defined for the user having the issues?

Respected Advisor

Re: "User does not have appropriate authorization level for library 'library name'"

Have the user issue a libname statement from within EG (as code) to assign the library which is not working, eg: libname Test 'library path as seen from executing server';

If this works then you know that OS permissions as such are o.k. and you only have to fix up metadata definitions (eg: read for both medadata AND data).

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation