BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
uacasper
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to silently uninstall an older version of SAS 9.4.  I can build a response file, but when I run:

"C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\sasdm.exe" -uninstall -quiet -wait -responsefile c:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\UninstallResponses.properties

It never finishes and doesn't even take any processor/disk time.  If I run it with -partialprompt instead of -quiet, the only question it asks is about what language to use. I have to assume that the -quiet install is waiting (silently and hidden) at that prompt.

The question about language definately came up when I was creating the response file (with -record).

Is there a way to force the language on the command line or modify the response file so it doesn't ask?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
uacasper
Calcite | Level 5

Waiting for an answer, I started playing around with "silent" installs.  They don't work either!  What is the point of the Automating the SAS Installation on Multiple Machines documentation if it is not automatic?

I dutifully walk through the -record option selecting the install that I want.  When I try to play back the install, using the -quiet switch, it stalls.  I get questions about language, and confirmation of the license (just confirmation, it already knows the correct path), and more questions about language, and a couple more questions.  It is definately reading the answer file because I am not asked for which components to install.

Please, can anyone shed light on how to silently install SAS (Foundation)?

Thanks.

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Note the doc reference you provided was for 9.2, but you should be using the 9.4 doc (based on your initial post).  You'll find that here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biig/69172/PDF/default/biig.pdf

Note that there is no "-uninstall" option to use when running the SAS Deployment Manager in -quiet mode.  You just specify -quiet and your -responsefile.  Alternatively, you can specify -quiet -uninstallall in order to quietly uninstall all products.

More information on quietly installing (or uninstalling) can be found in the SAS Deployment Wizard and SAS Deployment Manager 9.4 User's Guide here:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/66034/PDF/default/user.pdf

If you continue to have trouble playing back a captured response file using the syntax described there, I suggest you open a track with Tech Support to help you diagnose the issue.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

rioh
Calcite | Level 5

I have the same issue with the install process.  In silent mode, it still asks for language in which to view the sAS deployment wizard.

Perttu
Fluorite | Level 6

Not on my SAS servers now but IIRC atleast on Unix -servers there is the lang -command line option. Giving "-lang en" should make installation fully autonomous.

mima
Fluorite | Level 6

adding `-lang en` to my `sasdm.exe` call when using a silent response file allowed it to succeed. I had the exact same results with `-quiet` and `-partialprompt` from a recorded session. Thank you!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation