BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sas_university
Obsidian | Level 7

how to who schedule programe without running the program daily  in sas sudio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

It's clear from that screenshot that your are using SAS On Demand for Academics.

Please note that this is a learning tool, not a production environment.  I looked at the FAQ: https://support.sas.com/ondemand/caq_new.html

While I don't see an answer there about scheduled jobs, I would agree with others, it is unlikely that this is supported.  See for example other similar limitations that are mentioned in the FAQ:

• Do SAS sessions expire?
    SAS sessions are established when you connect to our hosted SAS servers from the SAS software application that you are using. If a SAS session has been inactive for three hours, it will expire. All SAS sessions will expire after six hours. These limitations are in place in order to conserve computing resources. Typical educational usage of the system often requires sessions that are much shorter than the expiration periods noted.

SAS recommends saving your work and exiting the SAS software application that you are using after completing your work. If you have an active session that is approaching six hours and you need to continue, save your work and exit the software. You can then start a new SAS session.

SAS is not responsible for any data or content that is lost due to session expiration.

• Are there limits on what I can do in my SAS sessions?
    Yes. Since SAS® OnDemand for Academics supports a large population of SAS learners, we focus considerable attention on ensuring the site is available and reliable to all users. To help meet this goal, we rely on our users to also be mindful of resources consumed by their jobs, and the resulting impact on their fellow users as well as the site. As a safeguard, resource consumption by user sessions is continuously monitored. This includes, for instance, the number of user processes, duration of the session, processing time consumed, process memory consumed, and the number of bytes transferred between files or network resources. Sessions found to be consuming excessive resources are subject to termination without notice. This practice is necessary to maintain the fair and equal access to the site for all users. SAS is not responsible for any data or content that is lost due to such actions. Chronic offenders may also be subject to further action.

This policy may be particularly notable to researchers and instructors for advanced courses who wish to use resource-intensive SAS code. While such users are welcome to use the site, such intensive workloads are not appropriate for a widely shared learning environment. Other options, such as obtaining a SAS license for a private environment, should be pursued instead. However, these users may still use the site for their less intensive workloads.

We also recommend avoiding large long-running jobs where possible. Such jobs tend to eventually report high resource usage, and hence are more likely to be terminated. In addition, these are more likely to be terminated due to the duration of the session. Sessions are subject to termination after 6 hours, and after 3 hours of inactivity.

In the event your session is terminated due to this policy, a notice including the time of the action should get logged to the special path ~/my_system_notices/termination within your home directory. This path will not exist otherwise. If it does, you can open the "termination" file as a text file within SAS Studio to view the details.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

What version of SAS Studio/SAS Server?

For Viya, this should get you started:

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/webeditorcdc/v_025/webeditorug/p1dfhyuor98w8vn1w123orxiaf8a.htm

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I strongly suspect that your question is related to your earlier post: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/how-to-customize-the-send-mails-personalization-for-e...

If it is, and you want to send birthday emails, then you schedule the program to run every day automatically. It is the only sensible way to do what you want. Without knowing more about your SAS installation it is hard to offer more useful advice.

sas_university
Obsidian | Level 7
@SASKiwi iam using Mac device, there is no way SAS install on Mac .
Only one option SAS studio , I do not have the financial position to
purchase SAS Mac version because iam student then I do
, In windows i know schedule Task , how to schedule.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@sas_university - Are you using SAS Studio with SAS On Demand for Academics then? If so then I'd be very surprised if this includes the ability to schedule.

sas_university
Obsidian | Level 7
@SASKiwi really i don't how how to schedule program sas studio explain me ,
how to schedule program in sas studio .
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@sas_university  - We still need to know what your SAS setup is apart from SAS Studio. Are you using SAS On Demand by any chance?

sas_university
Obsidian | Level 7

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 7.31.44 AM.jpeg

SAS Studio 5.1 version

Quentin
Super User

It's clear from that screenshot that your are using SAS On Demand for Academics.

Please note that this is a learning tool, not a production environment.  I looked at the FAQ: https://support.sas.com/ondemand/caq_new.html

While I don't see an answer there about scheduled jobs, I would agree with others, it is unlikely that this is supported.  See for example other similar limitations that are mentioned in the FAQ:

• Do SAS sessions expire?
    SAS sessions are established when you connect to our hosted SAS servers from the SAS software application that you are using. If a SAS session has been inactive for three hours, it will expire. All SAS sessions will expire after six hours. These limitations are in place in order to conserve computing resources. Typical educational usage of the system often requires sessions that are much shorter than the expiration periods noted.

SAS recommends saving your work and exiting the SAS software application that you are using after completing your work. If you have an active session that is approaching six hours and you need to continue, save your work and exit the software. You can then start a new SAS session.

SAS is not responsible for any data or content that is lost due to session expiration.

• Are there limits on what I can do in my SAS sessions?
    Yes. Since SAS® OnDemand for Academics supports a large population of SAS learners, we focus considerable attention on ensuring the site is available and reliable to all users. To help meet this goal, we rely on our users to also be mindful of resources consumed by their jobs, and the resulting impact on their fellow users as well as the site. As a safeguard, resource consumption by user sessions is continuously monitored. This includes, for instance, the number of user processes, duration of the session, processing time consumed, process memory consumed, and the number of bytes transferred between files or network resources. Sessions found to be consuming excessive resources are subject to termination without notice. This practice is necessary to maintain the fair and equal access to the site for all users. SAS is not responsible for any data or content that is lost due to such actions. Chronic offenders may also be subject to further action.

This policy may be particularly notable to researchers and instructors for advanced courses who wish to use resource-intensive SAS code. While such users are welcome to use the site, such intensive workloads are not appropriate for a widely shared learning environment. Other options, such as obtaining a SAS license for a private environment, should be pursued instead. However, these users may still use the site for their less intensive workloads.

We also recommend avoiding large long-running jobs where possible. Such jobs tend to eventually report high resource usage, and hence are more likely to be terminated. In addition, these are more likely to be terminated due to the duration of the session. Sessions are subject to termination after 6 hours, and after 3 hours of inactivity.

In the event your session is terminated due to this policy, a notice including the time of the action should get logged to the special path ~/my_system_notices/termination within your home directory. This path will not exist otherwise. If it does, you can open the "termination" file as a text file within SAS Studio to view the details.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation