BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LRN
Calcite | Level 5 LRN
Calcite | Level 5

Hi i would like to setup notification when any of the sas server is down. how do i do that?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

if you or your company os not making use of any monitoring tool (Nagios, SCOM, etc), you could always create a simple script tjat keeps running from a different server, to handle the answer from a ping command (if your server accepts ping), or something similar.

If you have a monitoring tool, I would definetely use it.

Unless, of course, you want to monitor an specific SAS service, then we are speaking on different terms

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If availabe to you I would advise to consider the SAS Environment Manager. It is from SAS and meant to do exactly that. You can define alerts for deceased servers plus a gaziliion other capabilities.

Regards, Jan.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

@jklaverstijn , indeed, but beware of what you want to monitor and how. In case that the SAS Environment Manager server is deployed on the same server than any of the SAS tiers, and the server is down, you won't receive any email or be able to access the SAS Environment Manager, because it will be down too.

There are other considerations as well: SAS Environment Manager depends of SASServer1_1 for the Logon and other services as the SAS Content Server, and it depends as well of the SAS Environment Manager Datamart.

To create a real and good SAS Environment Manager implementation, 100% available and usefull for the full purpose, it is required to apply a special deployment (cluster, specific location for EVDM, etc). A bit complex and not really worthy (but always nice to have!) for all the SAS deployments.

Therefore, to provide a more extended proposal:

1st stage: As the initial question was on how to monitor the server/s of SAS, I always suggest to have an external monitoring tool for the most basic monitoring, for starters, one that is used at a company level.

2nd stage: For the specific SAS services and multiple items/components to monitor, the SAS environment manager is the best, because it is already configured. Works like a charm! 

3rd stage: In case that you want also to receive information of the specific SAS services on your centralized monitoring tool, you can create alerts that can be exported and linked from the SAS Environment Manager, then import them in your centralized monitoring tool.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The most reliabel approach doe not trust a message something is not working (are you still there ..... no I have left)

Trust the things that are telling your it is working correctly (yes I am there) .

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation