BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sidreddy87
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

Can you please give some points how to migrate SAS 9.4 programs to SAS Viya3.4

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This is way too broad a question to offer any detailed answers. All I can say is the Viya architecture is very different to SAS 9.4. Your SAS 9.4 programs are highly unlikely to run without major changes.

If you don't want to re-write all of your SAS 9.4 programs then it would be sensible to retain SAS 9.4 in your new SAS infrastructure alongside Viya so you can take advantage of both technologies.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @sidreddy87 

As already advised by @SASKiwi SAS 9.4 and SAS Viya both have different architectures so I don't think lift and shift would work.

My suggestion:

1- Check what PROC's in your 9.4 programs are supported out of the box in CAS. You can find there here - https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=pgmdiff&docsetTarget=p1e2swghnyju6fn13jr3935jpsaw.htm&doc...

2- Once you have a list of those programs you can then try to migrate them and run in CAS with minor changes as required for file system paths for caslib, DB parameters etc.

3- You can run existing SAS 9.4 programs on SAS Foundation as part of the Viya installation (/opt/sas/spre/home/SASFoundation). In parallel you can work on re-writing your code (which isn't supported in step 1) to be CAS enabled and leverage all the advance capabilities of CAS in-memory processing.

In-case you are planning for a large scale enterprise migration, my advise would be to engage SAS services to guide you on the best way as per requirements at your site.

sidreddy87
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Anand

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Happy to help @sidreddy87. If you are satisfied with the answers go ahead and mark the solution that have helped as accepted solution.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation