BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, my site has restrictions in place on use of X11 - I would like to implement the alerts that come with the Data Mart, but I can't because the script requires X11 to be enabled. What to do? This is for SAS 9.4M3 on a Linux box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Sorry I wasn't clear.  You don't need to do anything with the -disableX11 option.  The emi_init.sh script delivered with 9.4M3 already does this for you.  You can simply ignore the step which says to set the DISPLAY environment variable to a working X Server.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Unfortunately, the SAS Environment Manager Extended Monitoring relies upon metadata package importing/exporting.  As a result, it has a dependency on the X11 libraries, even though the underlying code doesn't require the display of X windows.  I'm not aware of any workarounds, but am checking with the corresponding development group, and will post if I find any.

newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7

Mark. Thanks for your reply. I have not had occasion to use the import/export metadata package feature at this site yet.

Is that dependent on X11? I hope not!

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Since import/export packages is available through SASMC, you can use that client on Windows and avoid the X11 requirement for general package importing and exporting.

huntdoug
SAS Employee

Hello,

If this helps you can use the unix ImportPackage/ExportPackage w/o X at 9.4M3.

Unix only:
If you are using SAS 9.4M3 you can use the switch. -disableX11

You can use the -disableX11 option to run the batch import or export tool on UNIX without setting the DISPLAY variable.
This option is available with the third maintenance release for SAS 9.4.  (9.4M3)

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

And I just confirmed with the developer that the emi_init.sh script was modified in 9.4M3 to take advantage of the new -disableX11 option.  As such, you should no longer need an X11 server in order to load the SAS Environment Manager alerts via that script since you're running 9.4M3 on Linux.  I've put in a request to have the SAS Environment Manager User's Guide changed accordingly.

newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7
How would one incorporate the -disableX11 option into the execution of the emi_init.sh script?
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Sorry I wasn't clear.  You don't need to do anything with the -disableX11 option.  The emi_init.sh script delivered with 9.4M3 already does this for you.  You can simply ignore the step which says to set the DISPLAY environment variable to a working X Server.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation