BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alexal
SAS Employee

@AmitSri,

I would like to know the command you used to start the playbook. Also, I would like to review your inventory file. What is your Ansible / Python version?

AmitSri
Pyrite | Level 9

ansible version: 2.2.1.0

command I used:

ansible-playbook -I host_local system-assessment.yml

here is my inventory file in the attachment.

AmitSri
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Alex,

Have you had a chance to look at the log and the host_local file. Could ypu please help me on this. Thanks!!

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @AmitSri,

I have checked the file. This is correct  (a default one) if you are deploying on a single machine, from the ansible on the machine itself. 

Question, do you have license for ESM (Event Stream Manager)? I see that it tries to deploy

# The viprESM host group contains elements of SAS Event Stream Manager.
[viprESM]
deployTarget

viprESM

On my playbook I had this, without a license/ appropriate repository, hence my deployment was failing. I asked SAS Technical Support and confirmed this is a defect on the playbook. The solution for that is to get a new playbook or to do some manual modifications by yourself (guided by SAS Technical Support).

Anyway, this is just my experience, it seems a good idea to hold on for @alexal intervention, since he is SAS employee and has more experience with Viya.

AmitSri
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you Juan!! I am installing it on a single machine where ansible is also installed. And yes, I too don't have the license for ESM. So, I think I can just comment that part in host_local. However will wait for Alex. Many Thanks Juan!!
alexal
SAS Employee

I saw your track in the EU queue and I've checked your deployment log there. I've found two issues:

1. You should never use your personal account to deploy SAS Viya software. You have to set up the user account that deploys the software. The user account that is used to configure and start the deployment process has the following requirements:

• Administrator privileges for the Linux machine where the deployment is launched.
  • A home directory that is readable by the user accounts that are required for the deployment (cas and sas).
    If you have more than one machine target for SAS Infrastructure Data Server, make sure that all of these
    machines have the same home directory for the installation user account.
  • Super-user (sudo) access.
    Run the following command to verify that your user ID is included in the sudoers file:
    sudo -v
    As an alternative, verify your sudoers privileges with the following command:
    sudo -l
    Note: The ability to start a shell (via the !SHELL entry in some sudoers files) as root is not required.

2. The second problem is with hostname_fqdn. You must set up your server so SAS Viya can see a valid FQDN. If the domain name is not there SAS Viya, especially RabbitMQ, will fail to start.

hostname -f
hostnamectl status

The Expected output should be a FQDN. The long name needs to resolve to a to a valid FQDN servername.doman.name for example.

This Red Hat document explains how to change your hostname to a FQDN

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/ch-Co...

It is important to note Red Hat recommends that both static and transient names match the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) used for the machine in DNS, such as host.example.com. It is also recommended that the static and transient names consists only of 7 bit ASCII lower-case characters, no spaces or dots, and limits itself to the format allowed for DNS domain name labels, even though this is not a strict requirement. Older specifications do not permit the underscore, and so their use is not recommended.

AmitSri
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Alex,

This is the re-installation of viya 3.2 I am doing because of some storage issue. In this re-installation I am getting a fatal: as

TASK [Report if a host participating in the deployment is missing the sas_vars dictionary] ***
2018-03-14 08:36:19,215 p=12940 u=root | fatal: [deployTarget]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "failed": true, "failed_when_result": true, "msg": "The following host(s) are missing the required sas_vars dictionary: set(). See deployment.log for details."}
2018-03-14 08:36:19,215 p=12940 u=root | NO MORE HOSTS LEFT *************************************************************
2018-03-14 08:36:19,216 p=12940 u=root | PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
2018-03-14 08:36:19,216 p=12940 u=root | deployTarget : ok=10 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1
2018-03-14 08:36:19,216 p=12940 u=root | localhost : ok=4 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0
Though my hostname (both static and transient) are Fully qualified domain names. Could there be any other reason causing this issue.
alexal
SAS Employee

@AmitSri,

What version of Ansible are you using?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Well, first, remember you will need to go yo tour virtual environment (work/deployment) with the commands as on the deployment guide.

Something like:

source /root/work/deployment/bin/activate

Second, if you are running the viya playbook, it would be similar to:

ansible-playbook -i host_local site.yml --tags install
ansible-playbook -i host_local site.yml --tags config
etc

So calling the site.yml

If you are getting that error even after that, Iw ould suggest to contact SAS Technical Support, perhaps you would need a replacement of your playbook. That yml file does not ring a bell on me (and I just tried to find it)

AmitSri
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi,

Can you help me in troubleshooting this error please. Thanks!!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 3 in conversation