Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Zombie SAS process on Windows server

Contributor tlk
Contributor

Zombie SAS process on Windows server

Hello,

We have SAS EBI on a windows server.   The server admin is worried about the amount of SAS process, some of them were started weeks ago.   We decided to try to schedule a restart of the Object Spawner, every Sunday morning, so all the SAS process spawned would be kill.   It worked for some of them.   Here is our batch file:

net stop "SAS [SASCONFIG-Lev1] Object Spawner"

TIMEOUT /T 60 /NOBREAK

net start "SAS [SASCONFIG-Lev1] Object Spawner"

Are missing something ?

Is there another way to clean up those zombie process ?

Thanks!

Laurent

Super User

Re: Zombie SAS process on Windows server

Sometimes a client is disconnected from a Workspace Server process in a way that causes it to hang completely. Normal termination signals will not work at all. On UNIX, this means to use kill -9, which causes the kernel to deallocate the process without any cooperation from the process itself.

There must be a similar radical command in Windows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor tlk
Contributor

As far as I know the kill command in Windows behave the same as kill -9 on UNIX.   Is there a way to identify those process ? Can I find way to know if a client is still connected to the process.

Thanks

Trusted Advisor

When the processes are real zombies they will not go away when the initiator (object spawner) is gone.

The root cause can be a hangup in the closing part.

Similar radical commands exist in Windows PsTools (TechNet) PSkill -Taskkill  lseems to be a normal interenal command. On my W7 it is giving a reaction. /F as -9 switch.
If you are worried think on restarting all serverice and validate the machine is clean and setup on a regular planned schedule moment.

There are a lot of sasprocesess that are services (multithreaded).

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Frequent Contributor

Zencos has a helpful video about locating these processes: How to Detect Zombie Sessions

Tricia Aanderud
Zencos Consulting
Twitter: @taanderud - Follow me!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation