BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sdelisle
Calcite | Level 5

We recently installed a brand new SAS 9.4 environnement in my company. This environment is composed of 4 servers of SAS 9.4. (OA, VA, Metadata and Midtier Web Services).  There is no cluster or load balancer in the SAS infrastructure for now. 

The SAS installer told me to follow his recommendation in case I have to restart the whole environnement. Basically we must follow a specific stop/start order of services and servers. We have script so that is not an issue, but I was just wondering how do you guy manage Windows Update every month ?

How can I automate the restart, test it is UP and fit in our montly maintenant windows.

What are SAS recommendations regarding Windows Update on server infrastructure.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
Hi,

A very simple approach would be to create an scheduled task on each server to reboot the servers after the windows update.

Lets say your updates are expected to happen and finish every last friday of the month, at 19:00.

You can schedule a restart if your sas servers on a way as:
1. Metadata server at 19:05
2. VA and OA at 19:10
3. Middle tier at 19:30 (a check that your cache locators started fine on compute and middle tier would be a good idea)

With this, i am supposing meta and middle tier only on those servers, and VA and OA are only for compute.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ccaulkins9
Pyrite | Level 9
s -

this is best resolved with a ticket or a call to SAS Technical Support. Email works to support@sas.com also you can Talk to your SAS account representative if you know them. Regards, Chad Caulkins

e-SAS regards,

sdelisle
Calcite | Level 5

Before I call SAS tech support I would like see what other SAS admin do with their infrastructure.

Also I haven't found any related to this topic on SAS documentation, I have probably did check at the right place. I'm new in this SAS world.

Thanks to share what you do.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
Hi,

A very simple approach would be to create an scheduled task on each server to reboot the servers after the windows update.

Lets say your updates are expected to happen and finish every last friday of the month, at 19:00.

You can schedule a restart if your sas servers on a way as:
1. Metadata server at 19:05
2. VA and OA at 19:10
3. Middle tier at 19:30 (a check that your cache locators started fine on compute and middle tier would be a good idea)

With this, i am supposing meta and middle tier only on those servers, and VA and OA are only for compute.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation