BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Henry47203480
Calcite | Level 5

As title.

There were 3 SAS servcies, by default running by Windows "localsystem" account:

SAS Connect Spawner (BIG5), port 7551

SAS Connect Spawner (English), port 7552

SAS Connect Spawner (UTF8), port 7553

Can I run them by non-administrative account? If yes, what rights need to be granted to that account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Henry,

I don't think there's any difference in the requirements, but I've never yet needed to run the spawner with a different service account.

For further clarification have a look at Windows Privileges in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide.  It states:

Note: In most cases, an object spawner on Windows runs as a service under the local system account. If the spawner instead runs under some other account, that account must be a Windows administrator on the spawner's host and have the Windows user rights Adjust memory quotas for a process and Replace a process level token. These user rights assignments are part of the local security policy for the Windows computer that hosts the spawner.

Other than that I would suggest trying it out and/or following up with SAS tech support.

Cheers

Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Henry,

Have a look at Defining User Accounts in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Installation and Configuration Guide. It states (in part) ...

... the user account that runs the object spawner must meet the following requirements on the object spawner machine:

• be the administrator or a member of the Windows Administrator's group
  • have the following Windows local user rights:
    • Adjust memory quotas for a process
    • Replace a process level token

Cheers

Paul

Henry47203480
Calcite | Level 5

Paul Homes wrote:

Hi Henry,

Have a look at Defining User Accounts in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Installation and Configuration Guide. It states (in part) ...

... the user account that runs the object spawner must meet the following requirements on the object spawner machine:

• be the administrator or a member of the Windows Administrator's group
  • have the following Windows local user rights:
    • Adjust memory quotas for a process
    • Replace a process level token

Cheers

Paul

But the part you quoted is talking about NOT using Windows service:

On Windows, if you choose how to run your SAS servers using management scripts—instead of running them as Windows services

So I wonder if it's the same for a "Windows Service" case?

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Henry,

I don't think there's any difference in the requirements, but I've never yet needed to run the spawner with a different service account.

For further clarification have a look at Windows Privileges in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide.  It states:

Note: In most cases, an object spawner on Windows runs as a service under the local system account. If the spawner instead runs under some other account, that account must be a Windows administrator on the spawner's host and have the Windows user rights Adjust memory quotas for a process and Replace a process level token. These user rights assignments are part of the local security policy for the Windows computer that hosts the spawner.

Other than that I would suggest trying it out and/or following up with SAS tech support.

Cheers

Paul

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation