BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

If the instructions are to make a change to a configuration file, and then stop and start the metadata server in order for the change to become effective, do I need to first

-  stop ALL SAS services and JBOSS services on Midtier

- then stop all SAS services on Compute sever

- then stop all SAS services on Metadata server

before I

- start all SAS services on Metadata server

- then start all SAS sevices on Compute server

- then start all SAS and JBOSs services on Midtier Server?

Or can I just stop and start all SAS services on Metadata server?

For a similar need on Compute server, would I need to first stop all services on Midtier, then Compute, then start on Compute and  then Midtier ? (don't stop and start on Midtier). OR, do I just need to stop and start on Compute server?

However, on Midtier servier, I would just need to stop and start services on Midtier server.

Of course, all users will need to be logged off, etc.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It has been my experience that clients to the metadata server (which basically means all SAS-based services and clients like Enterprise Guide or OLAP Cube/Information Map Studio) loose all their server connections when they find that the metadata server is not active.

So the prudent thing is to conduct an orderly shutdown and startup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Perhaps you don't need to stop every service in the environment to make it work, but if you get a problem and contact SAS tech support, I'm sure that will tell you to stop all services before restarting the meta data server.

Which kinda is not so great, especially if you have a large VA environment...

Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It has been my experience that clients to the metadata server (which basically means all SAS-based services and clients like Enterprise Guide or OLAP Cube/Information Map Studio) loose all their server connections when they find that the metadata server is not active.

So the prudent thing is to conduct an orderly shutdown and startup.

RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Kurt and Linus. From your responses I gather that the recommended approach is to do the orderly shutdown restart - shutdown sequence - SAS services on midtier, compute, metadata servers, then followed by restart in the reverse order.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation