BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Amar_athuri
Calcite | Level 5

We have both SAS/Access interface to Netezza and SAS/Access interface to ODBC licences in our organization.

I would like to know whether we really need both the licences to connect to Netezza database ?

Is it possible to connect to Netezza through SAS/Access to ODBC interface without SAS/Access interface to Netezza licence ?

If yes, does ODBC interface provide all the functionality as such SAS/Access interface to Netezza do ?

Thanks.

Amar

5 REPLIES 5
SASwork
Fluorite | Level 6

"Is it possible to connect to Netezza without SAS/Access interface to Netezza ? "  Yes, we used to do that. 

"If yes, does ODBC interface provide all the functionality as such SAS/Access interface to Netezza do ?"  Not in 9.4 M2, you cannot do any of the in database processing procedures and you cannot update the metadata using SMC.  It locks SMC and you to kill SMC. In order to update the metadata for a table you have to delete it and re-register the table.  Obviously, not what you want to do.

jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

@SASwork I have SAS 9.4.01 M3. Would the ODBC interface provide all of the functionality that SAS/Access interface to Netezza would?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
The last statement sounds like a problem that SAS tech support should be involved. That is something that naturally should work.
Data never sleeps
SASwork
Fluorite | Level 6

LinusH,

Contacting SAS tech support is how I got to switching to the interface, still have to upgrade to M3 to elminate a different error message that occures in E.G. when using the data for reports.  The error doesn't stop the process just pops into the log.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Of course it won't. Otherwise there shouldn't be a need for a separate module.
Check the documentation and compare. Decide what features that are important to you and decide accordingly.
Data never sleeps

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation