BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

We are very new to SAS and currently in process of configuration of our both Dev and Prod environment with help of SAS.  My new role is to work as a SAS Admin and manage our environments.  We have an option to give our users (Power Users) access to Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio.  I personally in favor of having our power users to start using SAS Studio first and in future if there is a need we can install EG on their PC.  Again, this is just my personal feeling and I might be totally wrong.  I want to get some feedback from this community if I should have our users (mostly our new power users) to have access to SAS Studio, EG or both and why?

Any comment is much appreciated

Best  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

The link @SASKiwi posted gives a good overview of the three interfaces....

Some additional points to consider...

- Do you have PC SAS licensed in your company ? If no, then the Display Manager option is off the table.

- If you are talking about 100's of users, has the mid-tier been spec'ed to handle this volume if all the users go the Studio route ?

- EG has been around for many years, so the product is very mature with tons of features. Make 100% sure that all the features you need are present in Studio if you go the Studio-only route.

- From personal experience, I would suggest that you provision your users on Guide and the gradually transition to Studio for those use cases where it makes sense. If you then end up with a 50/50 split one day and it works for your company, that's fine. It's not about what to use, it's about what works and what doesn't. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you SASKiwi, very good article.  In general I am trying to find out how other admins & other companies use these tools.  For example for a 500 users, I though SAS Studio is much easier to deploy than go around and try to push and install 500 computers with EG!

Best

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

The link @SASKiwi posted gives a good overview of the three interfaces....

Some additional points to consider...

- Do you have PC SAS licensed in your company ? If no, then the Display Manager option is off the table.

- If you are talking about 100's of users, has the mid-tier been spec'ed to handle this volume if all the users go the Studio route ?

- EG has been around for many years, so the product is very mature with tons of features. Make 100% sure that all the features you need are present in Studio if you go the Studio-only route.

- From personal experience, I would suggest that you provision your users on Guide and the gradually transition to Studio for those use cases where it makes sense. If you then end up with a 50/50 split one day and it works for your company, that's fine. It's not about what to use, it's about what works and what doesn't. 

L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

A very good point nhvdwalt, yes our mid-tire has been and entier servers are setup for a heavy use.   Thanks to all of replies.  

Best

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I think it is worth pointing out that the SAS Windowing Environment is the legacy interface that is maintained but has not seen any significant upgrades for a long time.

EG and SAS Studio are the interfaces receiving most of the development effort recently including improvements for them to cooperate more with each other. For example SAS is aiming to enable EG projects to be run in SAS Studio and Studio tasks to be run in EG.

I'd suggest there is room for both interfaces in most organisations. Power users might prefer using EG projects or the code version control capabilities of EG, while occasional users might prefer the simplicity of the SAS Studio interface that can be run on any PC / laptop not just Windows ones. 

L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for the info.

MargaretC
SAS Employee

Please note there is a SAS Studio community where there question comes up often.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Studio/bd-p/sas_studio   

And there is also a SAS Studio FAQ that answers many of the questions as well  http://support.sas.com/software/products/sas-studio/faq/SASStudio_vsEG.htm

Thanks to Amy Peters from SAS for the above information

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation