BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

When I try to start SMC and enter an Id and password  for an entity that has a SAS identity and is the SAS Administrators group, I get an error

'Unable to launch authentication utility . The application could not log on to the server  myservername:8591'

When I use internal id sasadm (sasadm@saspw) at the log in window for SMC, I am logged into SMC with no problems.

The log /Lev1/Logs/SASMeta_MetadataServer_yyyy-mm-dd.log has the following lines:

INFO[number]:                        Unable to launch authentication utility.

WARN [number] :                    New Client connection (12345) rejected from server port 8561 for user xxxxx. Peer IP address and po rt are (:ffff:99:999:99:99):99999

Client connection 12345 closed

Our metadataserver is on Linux and I connect to the server via using Remote Desktop Protocol from my workstation, and execute SASMC from the linux command line.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Rgul, there could be a lot of reasons for this.

1/ The metadata is designed as "default open access" and you cannot close that globally (default ACT SASusers).

2/ The authentication process is run several root-level routines. These are started automatically

nproc  (maxuproc)  49685 - Installing SAS® 9.3 Enterprise BI Server in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 environment req...

Pre-Installation Steps for SAS 9.4 Middle Tier (

The metadataserver is using in memory and activaring a number of trhreads (processes?) SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide, Second Edition

The message  "Unable to launch authentication utility" seem to say it cannot run/start another process (sasauth/ saselsrv),

The sasadm@saspw is bypassing everything (no security no checks nothing) the only one getting passed with this.

Definining another internal account should give similar results, able to connect to the metadataserver. All others with externanl authentication being blocked.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Rgul, there could be a lot of reasons for this.

1/ The metadata is designed as "default open access" and you cannot close that globally (default ACT SASusers).

2/ The authentication process is run several root-level routines. These are started automatically

nproc  (maxuproc)  49685 - Installing SAS® 9.3 Enterprise BI Server in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 environment req...

Pre-Installation Steps for SAS 9.4 Middle Tier (

The metadataserver is using in memory and activaring a number of trhreads (processes?) SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide, Second Edition

The message  "Unable to launch authentication utility" seem to say it cannot run/start another process (sasauth/ saselsrv),

The sasadm@saspw is bypassing everything (no security no checks nothing) the only one getting passed with this.

Definining another internal account should give similar results, able to connect to the metadataserver. All others with externanl authentication being blocked.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

I identified the problem as setuid not being set on our metadtaa server to change permissions on elssrv, sasperm and sasauth on our metadata server. Once that was fixed, I was able to use my regualr account to log into SMC.

Thanks for  your help in pointing me to sasauth.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation