BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
anb
Calcite | Level 5 anb
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm trying to install SAS in a Ubuntu VM running Ubuntu 12 LTS, and the installation doesn't go past the first steps.

I do understand that Ubuntu is not in the list of supported platforms - but because of our architecture it would make things much easier to have Ubuntu rather than the other Linux options.

The installation does start but hangs in a screen reading "This machine is currently using the following operating system:" (and not displaying the OS name.4).

I have been looking on Google but seems like most people manage to go much further in the installation than I do.

Any suggestions?

Andres

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suspect due to the lack of a response to date that you are pretty much on your own trying to install SAS on not only an unsupported version of Unix but also an unsupported VM.

The only thing I can suggest is to try a physical Ubuntu server first, if you have one available. If you can't get it to install on a physical Ubuntu server then there would not be much point trying a VM'd one.Smiley Wink

anb
Calcite | Level 5 anb
Calcite | Level 5

I see what you mean, but on the other hand I would have expected that running SAS on a cloud environment would have been a more popular choice. It does allow to add flexibility of deployment - which is one of the issues that we have.

After unsuccessful fighting on Ubuntu, I've tried a Centos image on OpenStack and looks like it's going better (but I haven't finished the installation of the full stack yet).

I might be back asking for further help in a couple of weeks; I'm on SAS training this and next week so I won't be able to progress till then.

Thanks,

Andres

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would also add a word of caution on installing SAS on officially unsupported platform.

Even if you are successful installing you may find there are other issues down the track, For example on-going support and maintenance - SAS Support may not be able to reproduce problems you encounter simply because they don't have same operating system as you to try things on.

As an example of using "unsupported" software, there has been the debacle of SAS and Java over the last couple of years. SAS uses Java, but only supports certain versions that have been fully tested, which is fair enough. However IT departments have a habit of rolling out new Java versions all the time to plug security holes. You then find SAS not working with the later Java version because it is not compatible - it is very "hit and miss" as to whether it will work or not. So I agree with FriedEgg that there are good reasons for using supported operating systems/software....  

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

You will want to reference this write-up.  There are a reason why operating systems are officially supported...

Running SAS on Ubuntu Linux: Dash to Bash - platformadmin.com

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I do not understand all the trouble for choosing an non supported Linux distro. Linux is free if you do not want to pay for the OS. 
CentOS, Fedora are based on RedHat. What reason do you have for not using a RedHat version that is supported by SAS?

Even Oracle is offering a free Linux (copied RedHat) version aside the Sun based one, although the reason of that could be only market competition.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
magowiz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

Are you sure about Red Hat based distro like Fedora? It seems it's not true you can actually install 9.4 , the installer simply discards all systems that are not in supported systems.

I tried with Fedora 22, the installer detects the OS (it prints the full name) but it cannot permit you to pass the screen in wich you select one option in "install software", "modify depot"..... prompting the warning about your OS and supported Operating Systems.

That's said, if free edition Oracle Linux is really supported by SAS, is the only free OS in which you can install it, the others are RHEL and SUSE Enterprise Edition (not the free OpenSuse), if not there is no free OS in which you can install SAS 9.4.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Magowiz I am not sure about fedora. It could work needing some tweaking. That is bypasssing those checks. As it is Redhat I am sure it should work. I am sure about CentOS for the reason SAS did that with the UE edition.

That tweaking of other OS I once did with windows as it was the only option after a desktop upgrade. Never knowing were failures are arising.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation