Architecting, installing and maintaining your SAS environment

Track Enterprise guide processes/jobs on Linux machine

Contributor

Track Enterprise guide processes/jobs on Linux machine

Hi SAS Experts,

I was suggested to post my question in SAS Admin section.

We have our SAS installed  on  Linux machine. Our jobs run from Enterprise guide depending upon when we want to run the job.

So basically all SAS EG  jobs get submitted to Linux machine. We just have one linux machine and no Load sharing or load balancing concept.

Is there a way to track only the processes those are running from Enterprise Guide.

Like some ps -ef  commands or something else?

If I can get something like above command then my problem could be solved up to some extent.

I want to get a consolidated list  of Jobs that get executed for a particular day along with other run time statistics. Like I want to gather the info user id, Job start time and end time, from which machine the job got submitted  etc.

I am thinking to set up a cron job to run at sometime of day (let's say at 23.55) .

Please suggest if we can achieve this using SAS.

Thanks,

Suchi

Contributor

Tracking processes in EG on Linux

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to suchismita

Hi SAS Experts,

I was suggested to post my question in SAS Admin section.

We have our SAS installed  on  Linux machine. Our jobs run from Enterprise guide depending upon when we want to run the job.

So basically all SAS EG  jobs get submitted to Linux machine. We just have one linux machine and no Load sharing or load balancing concept.

Is there a way to track only the processes those are running from Enterprise Guide.

Like some ps -ef  commands or something else?

If I can get something like above command then my problem could be solved up to some extent.

I want to get a consolidated list  of Jobs that get executed for a particular day along with other run time statistics. Like I want to gather the info user id, Job start time and end time, from which machine the job got submitted  etc.

I am thinking to set up a cron job to run at sometime of day (let's say at 23.55) .

Please suggest if we can achieve this using SAS.

Thanks,

Suchi

Super User

Re: Track Enterprise guide processes/jobs on Linux machine

I use the following command to see the current Workspace Servers:

ps -ef|grep bridge|grep spawned

For more in-depth Information about past Workspace Server sessions, consider using the Environment Manager, or extract data from the spawner log.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Thanks KurtBremser,

This is nearly what I was looking for. But this will not show only EG processes but everything that is running on current work space am I right?

The other part is to collect history from Environment manager. Environment manger is on web application.

We have to get the details from Web application to linux and then we can get details of jobs/process running from EG  . Is that so?

Super User

If you enable extended workspace server logging, as @JuanS_OCS suggested, you can scan the logs for the _CLIENTAPP macro variable.

Extended workspace server logs also enable you to see _all_ actions done on the WS, so you could extract information about datasets being used etc.

On the commandline, all workspace server sessions for a given WS will look the same; if you define a new application server context in SAS metadata, the workspace server from there will have a different server= component on its commandline

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Trusted Advisor

Hello @suchismita,

one ways is as Kurt suggested. And there are more ways that I will leave to your considerations:

1- OS ps and grep commands as @KurtBremser well mentioned

2- Enable Workspace Server logging and then you can extend the logging (let us know if you need help there)

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bisag&docsetTarget=p0atyzdgfzbsjfn1j4bbbt14ic7t.htm&docsetVer...

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bisag&docsetTarget=n1365xislvhmbun1cc1gmrqo53tu.htm&docsetVer...

3- Use a good tool to monitor them. My favourite because of the level of detail and great reports, is the ESM (Enterprise Session Monitor) provided by Boemska @boemskats, chime in) https://boemskats.com/esm/

4- If you know how to query the WIP database (the internal postgreSQL database) you can find a lot of auditing information provided by the SAS platform out-of-the-box, especially if you enable the Extended Monitoring with APM/ACM 

https://support.sas.com/rnd/emi/SASEnvMgr/EVSAF/index.html

5- SAS Federation Server is an incredible tool to audit to the lowest level (query level) but also secure and encrypt data and many other features http://support.sas.com/software/products/fedserver/index.html

Contributor

Posted in reply to JuanS_OCS

Thanks JuanS,

I was looking if I am going with option 2 (enabling the work space logging).

Will that record all sessions of all users who submit job from EG or any interactive session.

I am expecting the log volume might create a problem in this case. Do you agree?

Regarding option 3- Use a good tool to monitor them. My favourite because of the level of detail and great reports, is the ESM (Enterprise Session Monitor) provided by Boemska @boemskats, chime in) https://boemskats.com/esm/

is it a licensed tool or freeware? IS there any risk in using this.

I have requested for access but did not receive any email.

In addition to this , can you please help me in getting list of users who have processes/jobs running long (like running for more than 8 hours or so).

Please help.

Thanks,

Suchi

Frequent Contributor

did you get th Re: Track Enterprise guide processes/jobs on Linux machine

<chiming>

Hey Suchi,

Apologies for missing your email - the filter on our site didn't like your email address for some reason.

ESM solves exactly the problem you describe - it allows both you and your users to see what your EG, DI, Miner, etc. sessions are doing in real time, from the moment they're started to the moment they finish. It also allows users to terminate their own sessions through the web GUI if you grant them that privilege, and keeps an audit log of any such session management activity. It doesn't depend on IOM at all, can pick up all other session types, manually started batch jobs, etc etc. - I can show you if you're interested.

Session age is also something quite a few of our clients asked us to implement a few months ago. You can see it in this screenshot as one of the available columns on the left:

hisuchi.png

There's a lot more in the product which would help you looking at your other posts, but we can take that offline. I've dropped you an email.

Nik

</chiming>

Contributor

Re: did you get th Re: Track Enterprise guide processes/jobs on Linux machine

Posted in reply to boemskats

This looks pretty good. I also checked some Videos of ESM. Is it a free tool or licensed one?

How can I install and use it for me and my team.

Will I be able to send any email/report on job or users statistics.

Please suggest. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation