BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

I have recently started working on SAS Administration.

I have 5 jobs scheduled using crontab all the jobs have different priorities.

and these jobs are failing due to the less space on SAS workspace server  issue.

Please let me know how to go about this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, run the cleanwork utility to get rid of remnants of crashed SAS sessions that clutter up your WORK.

Second, check if running the jobs one at a time does not cause an overflow in WORK. If that is the case, schedule the jobs so that enough time is between them that every job is finished before the next one executes; or wrap them into one shellscript that runs them in succession, and schedule only that.

If the single jobs keep exploding your WORK, you need to either increase available space, or work at improving workspace economy within your jobs (replace complicated SQLs with data step logic (as PROC SQL creates large temporary utility files in WORK that will often cause a completely unnecessary overflow), use compress=yes on WORK datasets, use tagsort on sorts of large compressed datasets, and so on. Googling "improve SAS performance" will get you lots of hints.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
anja
SAS Employee

Hi, what is the exact error message you are getting?

Thanks

Anja

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, run the cleanwork utility to get rid of remnants of crashed SAS sessions that clutter up your WORK.

Second, check if running the jobs one at a time does not cause an overflow in WORK. If that is the case, schedule the jobs so that enough time is between them that every job is finished before the next one executes; or wrap them into one shellscript that runs them in succession, and schedule only that.

If the single jobs keep exploding your WORK, you need to either increase available space, or work at improving workspace economy within your jobs (replace complicated SQLs with data step logic (as PROC SQL creates large temporary utility files in WORK that will often cause a completely unnecessary overflow), use compress=yes on WORK datasets, use tagsort on sorts of large compressed datasets, and so on. Googling "improve SAS performance" will get you lots of hints.

santosh_pat69
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Kurt,

Thank you !!!!
I have made note of your suggestions and will follow them whenever we have this issue.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi, 

I currently  understand that "less space" means "insufficient disk space or memory".

If that is the situation, please run a df -h such as:

root@tecmint ~]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2      75G   23G   49G  32% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5      24G   22G  1.2G  95% /home
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3      29G   25G  2.6G  91% /data
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1     289M   22M  253M   8% /boot
tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm

As you see, this will give you the disk space available on your mounted disk volumes. You will need to check you have enough disk space on each. SASWORK by default is written on /tmp, but I hope you have configured a different and separated location for it. 

Also, it might be running out space your /home/user folder.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation