BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kumarsandip975
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Members, 

I was following to this document SAS Help Center: Install and Configure a Software Update

kumarsandip975_0-1725265618277.png

Can you please suggest whether this steps(in screenshot) is required in order to software upgrade from SAS 9.4 M7 to M8(UIP)? 

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Very hard to see the screen-shot. But I guess this dpends on your installation.
I suggest that you follow the link, and also examine your current state (M7) when it comes to CA.
Data never sleeps
sys-halt
SAS Employee

I recently did UIP from M7 to M8 with TLS/SSL enabled and I did not give much attention to this step and my UIP went with no issues.

I used to worry about this in older maintenance releases, M0, M1, M2 etc...

As @kumarsandip975  mentioned, just verify that your TLS/SSL RootCA and any IntermediateCAs for your environment are already imported into SAS cacerts.

if you wanna be extra caution, when you first do UIP for SASHome, run SDM and import your TLS/SSL files, then run SDM and choose "Update Existing Configuration".

Some notes I have about UIP:

1. follow the knowledge base number KB0036368.

2. During UIP process, after updating SASHome, exist second phase of the Wizard when it asks to select SASCONFIG for update and run SDM manually instead, and choose "Update Existing Configuration" for two reasons:

a. the machines I had were using alias names and SAS Wizard does not pass alias names to SDM in the second phase when it launch SDM automatically for you to update SASCOFIG 

b. SAS wizard consumes lots of memory and tmp space so not to face a crash I stop the Wizard on SASCONFIG update phase, then I run SDM manually instead to update SASCONFIG.

On Mid-tier when I ran SDM manually I also used the javaoptions parameter to increase SDM memory size from 2GB to 4GB because it failed on first run (mid-tier SASCONFIG update consumed SDM default allocated memory of 2GB):

/opt/sas/sashome/SASDeploymentManager/9.4/sasdm.sh -javaoptions "-Xmx4096M"

3) Make sure that /tmp has at least 10GB free, preferred 20GB especially for Mid-Tier.

4) Make sure that you have enough free memory - I first stopped SAS, rebooted Linux and then started SAS to free memory buffer/cache

5) Make sure disk space is about 1.5 of SAS size - i.e: if SAS is installed in /sas directory and SASHOME and SASCONFIG are consuming 20GB, then you would need at least 30GB (20x1.5) of available disk space inside /sas directory

UIP does not upgrade SAS Internal database (PostgreSQL) automatically, so SAS PostgreSQL keeps to be the old version after UIP finishes. For that check SAS online documentation to verify your Postgresql version and on how to upgrade it.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation