BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
goitzy
Calcite | Level 5

I am looking for some advice on best practices for deploying software.

Do you use one software depot and all environments point to that depot or do you download one per environment?

For most deployments of other software packages its all in one executable but with SAS the depot is 75 gigs which is alot more files.

What options do people use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

With a small number of users, having a single SAS Software depot is entirely appropriate if all installs are manual. Once automated client installs are required then a second depot just for client software is often advisable.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

The advantage of using a single depot for all your orders is that they share content.  In this way, you might have two 25 GB orders that merge together into a single 30GB depot.  Note that you can't merge orders from different major SAS versions, for example, you can't have a 9.3 and a 9.4 order in the same depot.  However, you can have all your 9.4 orders, including different maintenance levels stored in the same depot.

For more info on depots, check out the What is the SAS Software Depot section of the SAS 9.4 Guide to Software Updates.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Using a software depot for all needed instances can be a viiolation with the requirements on desktop and server policies.

It is quite common to have closed desktops distributed locations etc.  In those situations getting a SAS roll-out aligned is a big challenge.

I commonly comes to repackaging the SAS software and forgetting the SAS softwaredepot approach.
In those cases a combined softwaredepot can help al the burdening actions for the one doing the install. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It is quite OK to file copy SAS Software depots for your own requirements such as running in different environments or locations.

Is your focus mainly on server deployments or client deployments? Server deployments are almost always manual installs and are fairly easy to manage. Client installs can be tricky especially if automated packaging and deployment is required. It is advisable to create a cut-down depot specifically for client installs to reduce the size. SAS deployment manager can do this for you. 

goitzy
Calcite | Level 5

Right now the depot is for both Server and clinet installs since our client base is so small right now being that we are in development. There could be a licensing issue but after the install you can change the license file to accomodate this. I like the idea of a single software depot for ease of managment and singe source when it comes to dev, testing and migration into prod. I havent heard any reason to not have it this way so far but i thought i would poll people who have more experience than myself.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

With a small number of users, having a single SAS Software depot is entirely appropriate if all installs are manual. Once automated client installs are required then a second depot just for client software is often advisable.

goitzy
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you!  ....  thats the appraoch i think will work best in the long run.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation