BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Have you already run the cleanwork utility on your WORK location?

I ask this because 005DC8 corresponds to decimal 24008, and there is no such process in your list. The same goes for 06D4 (1748).

cleanwork would automatically take care of orphaned directories

The SASutil directories are created parallel to the work directories, and contain the utility files of sort and other procedures; their physical location can be controlled by the -utilloc system option.

As such utility files are usually automatically deleted once the corresponding procedure finishes, a permanently non-empty SASutil is a sure sign of a crashed process.

amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5
My IT team has deleted the SAS_work.* files from the system as a temporary solution. That is what I wanted to confirm, will that have any negative effect on my system.
amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5
Please do confirm, that the process that I have followed for checking the parallel sessions is correct, or is their alternate way of checking the parallel sessions.
As I need to check that we have 4 concurrent users and how many sessions are active, to check if their are others users to my system.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I STRONGLY suggest you use the cleanwork utility, as any "manual" deletions carry the risk of pulling data accidentally out from "under" a still running process.

As for how to check which directory belongs to which process, I have already given you the information.

amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5
I tried converting the hexadecimal to decimal for all the process, that are running in my system. But the ps -ef|grep process_number is producing no result.
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Here is a UNIX command way to keep track of how much disk space is being used:

How to Monitor SASWORK

We are asked often to determine how much disk space is needed in the SASWORK directory for a SAS process.  If you are running on a UNIX server, here is a short script that can be run in the background while your SAS job is executing.

integer n=0

integer loop = $1

while ((n<loop))

do

du –ak $2

sleep $3

((n=n+1))

done

The $1 parameter is the number of times you want to do a collection.

The $2 parameter is the SASWORK directory on your UNIX system.

The $3 parameter is the amount of time to wait between each collection.

Here is an example of running the above code which we have saved in a file called space.sh.

./space.sh 300 /work2/WORK 60 > saswork

In this example, the du –ak command is done on the /work2/WORK directory every 60 seconds for a total of 300 times and the output from the du –ak command is placed in a file called saswork.

After 300 minutes, the task above is finished and you have a file with lots of information.  The following command will help you determine the largest value for the du –ak command, therefore determining how much disk space you used in SASWORK.

grep /work2/WORK$ saswork | sort –nd | tail –1

If there are several SAS jobs running, all using the same SASWORK directory, then you will want to change the first parameter to the grep command to reflect the name of the SASWORK subdirectory created for your SAS job.  This can be determined using PROC DATASETS to echo back the libnames assigned during your SAS job.

boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

In addition to Margaret's suggestion, here's something else you could use if you wanted to keep an eye on your sasworks during the day. More colours, less logging. Needs RHEL6. 

https://github.com/Boemska/worktop

Nik

gabras
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi @amitvermajhs,
i'm having some trouble understanding what is saselssrv . Do you have any clue about this?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

saselssrv is one of the utilities that assists in changing current userid's. This is necessary (eg) when the spawner needs to start a SAS process for a certain user. Since only privileged users can initiate such change seamlessly, the utility is stored with owner root and the setuid bit set (UNIX).

So, for every SAS process initiated by the spawner, you'll find a related elssrv running.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation