BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year to all. I hope everyone had a great break.

So, here's my first post for this new year.

Our leadership and developers want us to be able to send an email notification to all the SAS users whenever there is a new report object made available to them. I have been researching around this requirement but didn't find any relevant documentation or post. Any help with this requirement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See this note: http://support.sas.com/kb/30/682.html how to extract user data and their group relationships from the metadata repository.

A google search for "sas extract users from metadata" will reveal lots of other resources dealing with user metadata.

Unless you have stored your email adresses in SAS metadata, you will have to query your LDAP base to retrieve them there.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Hi @Kurt_Bremser,

Thanks for your response. Well, we have a all the SAS report consumer users grouped in a user group. We want to send notification to all the users within that group.
Please let me know if any further information is required.

Thank you.
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
KurtBremser,

These are all external user accounts in LDAP, and their group is defined in SAS metadata. I hope that answers your question, let me know otherwise.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See this note: http://support.sas.com/kb/30/682.html how to extract user data and their group relationships from the metadata repository.

A google search for "sas extract users from metadata" will reveal lots of other resources dealing with user metadata.

Unless you have stored your email adresses in SAS metadata, you will have to query your LDAP base to retrieve them there.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
@Kurt_Bremser,

Thanks and I appreciate that. I can extract the email addresses of the users but how will I automate the process of sending them notification about new report object being made available to them? Any thoughts?

Thank you.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You can send email from a SAS DATA step based on a SAS data set containing email addresses. This link should help explain:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/63053/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1hl3t66coao7bn18v...

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
@SASKiwi, it seems the link you've shared is not available anymore. I totally agree with the concept of sending the emails via SAS DATA step but my question is how would I trigger that emailing event. Is there's a way to trigger the event either via SAS program or SAS MC or maybe something else?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

That link works fine for me. If not just google: SAS filename email statement 9.4. You could use the scheduler in SAS Management Console to run a job on a regular basis or just run it manually when the developer has published a new report.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Alok_Pal wrote:
@SASKiwi, it seems the link you've shared is not available anymore. I totally agree with the concept of sending the emails via SAS DATA step but my question is how would I trigger that emailing event. Is there's a way to trigger the event either via SAS program or SAS MC or maybe something else?

I've found that the new SAS documentation website seems to have issues with specific configurations of Firefox or PaleMoon. Try Chrome or another browser.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation