BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi i'm new and trying to just solve this problem. Not familiar with SAS at all; I'm a sysadmin trying to just get this thing out the door to my users.

Trying to configure SMTP on a new SAS installation. Version 9.4. When I go to Tools > Options > System > Communications > E-mail > and try to specify "Emailhost", it's weird. I can select only from a drop-down that says "PW", PWD", and "PASSWORD". Um, I need to specify the smtp mail server!

Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to put this info in? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, 

Bubba88

12 REPLIES 12
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

What OS?

Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6
Server 2012 R2
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Is this a BI installation with metadata server?
Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm sorry - I am not familiar with the plethora of SAS products. It's literally just "SAS". The title bar even says just "SAS".

I've attached a screen shot, if that helps!

I appreciate your efforts to help me with this issue!

2016-03-29 11_38_44-SAS.png
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

No problem.  I'm not as familiar with Windows installations, but typically you can set the options in the config file (usually <sashome>\SASFoundation\9.4\sasv9_local.cfg in or <sashome>\SASFoundation\9.4\sasv9.cfg).  Try this note: http://support.sas.com/kb/53/215.html

Once set in the config file, it should be picked up with each new SAS session.

Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6

THANK YOU! That is the type of config file I was looking for. I am ALMOST there!

I was able to put my smtp server address in that file, and have it show up properly in the system config now.

However, now, the "FROM" field is also being problematic. My organization does not require SMTP authentication; but it DOES require that the sender be a valid email address. The good news is that "noreply@xxx.edu" is a valid address, so, if I can just figure out the field to specify in the .cfg file, I think this will work.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

They are just synonyms for the same thing. I agree it's strange to provide them all in the UI, but it does not matter which you choose.  I've personally never used it and prefer to modify the configuration files directly as @Timmy2383 pointed towards.

You can try entering something like ("smtp.server.com" id=friedegg pw=password auth=login) into the value box of the UI

See documentation

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lesysoptsref/68023/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1v9dr6zep9p9...

Under options -> PWD=password

PWD=password

specifies an email logon password.

Alias PW= and PASSWORD=
Interaction The value of the PWD= option takes precedence over the value of the EMAILPW= system option.
Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, FriedEgg; my problem though is specifying the SMTP server address. Not the PWD field. Those are the options that are showing up when I try to specify the smtp server field.

in addition to that bug, I cannot specify the "from" field either: The options are "0" or "1". I need to put a "noreply" address in there...

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There may be a way to set a global value for the FROM address, but I've never seen/used it.  I've always set the SMTP server info in the config file and then let the individual SAS programs/code that I run define the FROM, TO, CC, SUBJECT, ATTACHMENT, etc.  because it can always vary depending on what the code is doing.

For example:

FILENAME MYMAIL EMAIL	
	TO="Dave@MyCompany.com"
	FROM="HAL 9000 <Me@MyCompany.com>"
        CC="Stanley.Kubrick@MyCompany.com"
	SUBJECT="I can't do that, Dave ";

DATA _NULL_;
	FILE MYMAIL;
	PUT "Daisy....daiiisssyy....";
RUN;
Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks!! I did not know that was possible.

I'll test that & I bet it works.

Bubba88

Bubba88
Fluorite | Level 6
Guys, it worked!! I'm GOOD! Thank you both so much!! I don't know whose response to mark as the "Accept as solution", because you both were equally helpful.
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Great! I don't keep track so just flip a coin.

I call tails.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation