BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dgower
Obsidian | Level 7

Could someone please remind me, when a SAS SID expires, does it expire on 12:00 AM of the expiration date, or midnight of the expiration date?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@dgower wrote:

Thanks, Chris.  I understand all that and the article actually doesn't answer my question :).  After the grace period, on the final day of the warning period, does SAS stop functioning when the clock ticks to the first second of that final day, of does functionality remain until the end of that final day?

Thanks,

Dan

You can actually test that. Advance your system clock to time your are interested and launch SAS. I've never had an active SAS session when the license actually finally expired but strongly suspect that 1 second past midnight of the expiration day and SAS won't start.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This topic probably has more than you need, but here's a blog about checking and updating your SAS license.

One key point: there is usually a grace period where SAS will still work, but it will squawk at you for having an expired license.  Don't wait too long to apply a renewed SID.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
dgower
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, Chris.  I understand all that and the article actually doesn't answer my question :).  After the grace period, on the final day of the warning period, does SAS stop functioning when the clock ticks to the first second of that final day, of does functionality remain until the end of that final day?

Thanks,

Dan

ballardw
Super User

@dgower wrote:

Thanks,

Dan

You can actually test that. Advance your system clock to time your are interested and launch SAS. I've never had an active SAS session when the license actually finally expired but strongly suspect that 1 second past midnight of the expiration day and SAS won't start.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The SAS license is checked at the time you start the session, and then whenever a different/new product is loaded.  

So, while I hope you're not cutting it this close with your license, if you start SAS and run your suite of programs before midnight, then repeat the programs again in the same session after midnight, I'd expect it to work.  But that's not a promise, just a guess.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
dgower
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Chris,

A legacy version of SAS will be expiring, and someone in our business wanted to know.  We have version 9.4 in our production environment where I would never (as much as is under my control) let the expiration date get that close w/o renewing our SIDs.

Thanks,

Dan

dgower
Obsidian | Level 7

Great idea, ballardw.  And so obvious.  I did this and confirmed that SAS does function during the expiration date.  Thanks for the suggestion!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation