BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

I have a problem with the SAS License. I have SAS depot with 2 license one of ECM and other of V.A. (every license with differents sit-number). I install the depot in single machine not I face a problem if I used the ECM license the LASR server of V.A is not working. and if I renew with the V.A licence the ECM is not working. kindly give your advice.

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The target will always have the licensed modules working, so the V.A. installation won't do ECM and the ECM instalation won't do V.A.

That's the purpose of two different licenses.

If you need everything to work in one installation, you need a single license incorporating everything.

SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

@Kurt_Bremser thank you for your advice. this mean I need reinstall SAS with the new depot that has single license. if there any solution without reinstall SAS. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In my experience the depot will have everything that is on your installation media, but the final installation will only have modules that are in the respective license used in the installation (of the SAS System, not the depot) step.

SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

@Kurt_Bremser every depot has sit_number and also license come with the some sit-number of license. so if merge the two licenses this mean merger to sit-number and get the new sit-number. and new depot with a new sit-number. is this correct or not.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Basically yes.

But you don't necessary need to reinstall SAS, if you have everything installed ok, and just have the licensing problem.

However, if you haven't deployed your installation to users yet, it might be easier to start over again.

Figure out the details with SAS contract department and Tech Support.

Data never sleeps
SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

@LinusH firstly thank you for your advice, yes I face only the license problem and all SAS components and the users start used the system. but when we need to used the V.A we face this problem. when we connect with SAS teams they give us a new depot with new single license also new site number. so I search if there  a way to solve issue without reinstall SAS. kindly give your advice.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

Not sure if I understand 100%, but please correct me when needed OK?

I will work under 2 different assumptions:

1- You had already installed and working ECM with the VA supplement, on a single tier\server Deployment, then you received the licences to update.

With this option, please contact your SAS account manager, and explain your deployment,. Probably they need to send you a new one for single server.

When you receive the new one, you will only need to update this license on the SAS foundation and the metadata, then restart all your SAS services to take effect.

2- (probably not the case) you are doing a new instalkation \ Deployment at this moment,. Is this the case? If is that so, the approach to the problem is your plan file and you would need a reinstallation to reflect the reallity of the licensed you have purchased, or rethink the approach.

Anyway, contact your SAS representative. My initial bet would go to option one and it has an easy solution.

Please let us know how it goes!

SASuser19
Quartz | Level 8

@JuanS_OCS thank you very much, I have a new installation as your second assumption. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

OK, in that case:

1- assuming you used a good plan file, you need to request a change of the licenses to 1, as of the first assumption

2- your plan file is incorrect and you need to:

- think about your desired Deployment: just ECM without VA, or you want the full product?

A - should you want just ECM, might you need VA in the future or not? 

A1- if you just need ECM and no need of VA, just live with your "incorrect" Deployment and apply the ECM license

A2- if ECM,  but also VA, then you need to create (or ask SAS to create for you) a good plan file and\or licenses accordingly

Or you can ask for the expertise of SAS for the installation, which I think it would be advisable here if you don't have experience with Deployment plans, to ensure the quality of your installation.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation