BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dcnorris
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to install SUDAAN for use with SAS University Edition, via 'SAS-callable SUDAAN'?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If you can't get SAS callable to work, you may need to look at exporting data from SAS to text files and using the "native" SUDAAN data structures. A headache but shouldn't be deal breaker.

I haven't had an opportunity to work on the same data with Proc Surveylogistic and Rlogistic but I have worked with Surveyfreq and Surveymeans and get results that matched SUDAAN output to 3 and often more decimals on prevalence estimates. For example a Surveyfreq result might be 43.1234 and SUDAAN would be 43.1235.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

I have a sneaking suspicion the response will be "no", if for no other reason that the virtual machine parts.

What are you using SUDAAN for that the SAS survey procs won't cover?

dcnorris
Calcite | Level 5

@ballardw, Thank you for your reply. My hope would be that perhaps the SUDAAN executable could be installed in another 'shared folder' (like the standard 'myfolder'), and accessed by SAS University Edition much as the executable would be accessed by the usual install of SAS. (The work is a reproduction/reanalysis of published research that used 'PROC RLOGIST', which is 'SAS-callable SUDAAN'.)

ballardw
Super User

If you can't get SAS callable to work, you may need to look at exporting data from SAS to text files and using the "native" SUDAAN data structures. A headache but shouldn't be deal breaker.

I haven't had an opportunity to work on the same data with Proc Surveylogistic and Rlogistic but I have worked with Surveyfreq and Surveymeans and get results that matched SUDAAN output to 3 and often more decimals on prevalence estimates. For example a Surveyfreq result might be 43.1234 and SUDAAN would be 43.1235.

dcnorris
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a 'sasv9.cfg' file in SAS University Edition? If so, my hope would be to put the SUDAAN SAS-callable code into a subdirectory of the shared 'myfolders', and modify the PATH specification in the sasv9.cfg file along the lines suggested in the SUDAAN Installation Guide:

-PATH (
!SASROOT/sasexe /folders/myfolders/sas-callable
)

Or is this file not present (or inaccessible) in SAS University Edition? If that's the case, is there an alternative way to change this PATH configuration, e.g. with a SAS command at runtime?

(BTW, @ballardw thanks for the tip on PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC. I'll be sure to give it a try if I'm forced to go the SUDAAN command-line route.) 

dcnorris
Calcite | Level 5
I can confirm that I got 4th-decimal-place agreement with PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC in a simple application (1 stratum). Standard errors agreed to within ~1% proportionally. Thx! -dcnorris

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation