BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
franz
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have created a plan for VA 7.1 in distributed mode with the the following topology:

Machine 1: SAS Metadata Server and SAS Servers, this machine is also the Hadoop NameNode and HPAE root node

Machine 2: SAS Mid-Tier WITHOUT SAS Web Server (i.e. only the SAS Web Application Server and the Environment Manager Server)

Machine 3: SAS Web Server and Environment Manager Agent

I need to implement this topology because machines 1 and 2 are not accessible from "outside" but machine 3 is. SAS Web Server should be configured as reverse proxy to the mid-tier machine. The problem is that the Deployment Manager does not seem to configure automatically the Web Server (ie the Web/WebServer/conf/sas.conf file) for reverse proxy to the mid-tier, I managed to partially configure it manually, but with odd loose end that does not make the deployment satisfactory. Everything is configured automatically if the Web Server is on the same machine ad the Web App Server. I also tried configuring both the Web Server and Web App Server on Machine 2 (chiech works fine) and then install and configure a third party web server on machine 3, this does not work with because the authentication process (j_spring_cas_security_check) fails due to the fact that the originating (machine 3) and target machines (machine 2) are different.

So I am wondering, has anyone done this properly? How? Manually or automatically via the Deployment Manager? Using a 3rd party web server?

SAS documentation only touches on this subject saying it can be done via a plan, but without giving any further information. I also contacted SAS TS and they do not really have an answer, just pointers that did not help.

Any input welcome!

Thank You, Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpage
SAS Employee

This is a supported topology and I've seen it configured successfully.I think ordering may be your only issue. The web server needs to be configured prior to the mid-tier, swap machines 2 and 3 in your order and you should be set.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dpage
SAS Employee

This is a supported topology and I've seen it configured successfully.I think ordering may be your only issue. The web server needs to be configured prior to the mid-tier, swap machines 2 and 3 in your order and you should be set.

franz
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your answer, I will try asap and let you know.

Kind Regards

franz
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi David, that did the trick.

I also added the machine names in the plan, which I think helped. I had to do a couple of manual steps while configuring the mid-tier machine as the deployment manager was trying to restart the web server using the installer id, but this was not possible as it is configured to use port 80 (only root can stop/start processes that use port below 1024). Apart from that all finally ran smoothly.

Thanks for your input, Kind Regards

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation