BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am not able to restarting sas services,

./sas.servers start

Starting SAS servers
SAS Web Infrastructure Data Server is already UP
SAS Advanced Analytics Common Data Server is already UP
Starting SAS Decision Manager Common Data Server
Starting SAS Data Remediation Data Server
Starting SAS Job Monitor Data Server
SAS Metadata Server 1 is NOT up
The remaining SAS servers will NOT be started as a result.

more detail error saying -> error occured while attempting to initialize journal file journal/date_time_journal.dat.

Also, tried to start metadata server only but it fails as well

./MetadataServer.sh start

Waiting up to 600 seconds for Metadata Server to listen to port XXXXX.

Server is started (pid #...)

Server is stopped

Log files are located at: .../MetadataServer/Logs

Metadata server failed to start, check the log for errors.

Log files are located at: .../MetadataServer/Logs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexal
SAS Employee

@woo,

Find out who is holding this file and kill that process:

lsof /<SASConfig>/Lev<X>/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Journal/date_time_Journal.dat
kill -9 <PID>

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dpage
SAS Employee

Anything incriminating in the Metadata Server logs? I'd be suspect of an expired license.

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
metadata server log says,

ERROR: Resource is write-locked by another user. File =Journal/date_time_Journal.dat. System Error Code = 0.
ERROR: The file is already locked by another user.
ERROR: Resource is write-locked by another user. File =Journal/date_time_Journal.dat. System Error Code = 0.
ERROR: The server will not be able to initialize until the above error(s) are corrected. Locate details in the server log by searching for 'ALERT EMAIL' for each of the problems noted above.
ERROR: The SAS Metadata Supervisor failed to initialize properly because of the errors noted above. Contact Technical Support for assistance if these messages do not indicate a solution to the problem.
ERROR: The SAS Metadata Supervisor failed to load due to the errors noted above. Contact Technical Support for assistance if these messages do not indicate a solution to the problem.
ERROR: CLASSFACTORY cannot be instantiated.
alexal
SAS Employee

@woo,

Find out who is holding this file and kill that process:

lsof /<SASConfig>/Lev<X>/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Journal/date_time_Journal.dat
kill -9 <PID>
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@woo wrote:
metadata server log says,

ERROR: The server will not be able to initialize until the above error(s) are corrected. Locate details in the server log by searching for 'ALERT EMAIL' for each of the problems noted above.
ERROR: The SAS Metadata Supervisor failed to initialize properly because of the errors noted above. Contact Technical Support for assistance if these messages do not indicate a solution to the problem.
ERROR: The SAS Metadata Supervisor failed to load due to the errors noted above. Contact Technical Support for assistance if these messages do not indicate a solution to the problem.
ERROR: CLASSFACTORY cannot be instantiated.

You could have a hanging instance of the Metadata server running that does not work anymore, but has the file(s) locked. Which means you have to find the offending process from the process list and kill it.

In addition to the lsof suggested by @alexal, use

ps -ef|less

to display all running processes on a UNIX system. This might give you a bigger picture of what's going on.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

are you attempting to restart the services/SAS servers just as maintenance task, or, are there any

processes that ran beforehand, which caused the metadata server to stop?

I am asking because there are certain tasks that could place locks on a journal file, such as a backup.

If you'd provide the entire metadata server log (attach the file), we could maybe find some other

indications that would explain the error.

Also, as as Kurt suggested, do a ps, but add "Foundation" please:

ps -ef | grep SASFoundation

The error has been seen in some cases when the environment is running on a

EMC OneFS (I don't know what you are running on, so I am really just throwing out

things/ideas here.) The problems were related to locks caused by an

autoexec file/config files that were not stored locally.

You could take a look at filelocks:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/69602/PDF/default/hostunx.pdf

Page 41. Take a look at the settings for that option.

Thanks

Anja

Jwcris
Calcite | Level 5

@woo - Did you ever resolve this issue?

Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

To archive a solution :

ssh sasmeta-machine
sudo bash
lsof /sasconfig/meta/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Journal/<datetime>_Journal.dat
kill -9 <PID> found

ssh sasmeta-machine
cd /sasconfig/meta/Lev1/SASMeta/
tar -cvf <datetime>MetadataServer.tar /sasconfig/meta/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer
cd /sasconfig/meta/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer
./MetadataServer.sh -recover
./MetadataServer.sh -status
-> started

PWC2018_1
Fluorite | Level 6

I got this message when I try to start all SAS services but when I forgot to do: "Update SID File in Metadata" with the SAS Deployment Manager when I install the new licence.

Claude

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation